how to eliminate DC hiss?
Jun 1, 2008 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lock

Head-Fier
I just purchased a Logic3 Universal Ipod Dock. All I wanted it for was convenience of remote control of my ipod. The SQ is actually very good, better than I would expect. The problem is it is poorly grounded, builds up static on the ipod case and introduces a High frequency Hiss!.

I have the dock connected to a set of powered speakers, so each has it's own mains lead

The dock uses a cheap external DC switching power supply. I'm pretty sure the hiss is from the power supply.

What are my options for sorting this?

As it is only a 9V source, I thought I could make a battery box and power the unit with 9v rechargable batteries would this remove any ground loop and hiss?

Advice would be great!

thanks

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 3
I think you're talking about transformer hum coming from the power adapter itself. I've experienced this high-frequency noise firsthand with an external hard drive adapter. You could run battery power, which would be great, or you could buy a better power adapter with similar specifications.

If you have low frequency ground loop hum, try plugging the dock into the same outlet / circuit as your speakers.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 3
The battery power source works but didn't solve the problem :frowning2: the hiss must be from the internal attenuator/amp.

Be warned the Logic 3 is an ok dock and the remote is good, but it is not a totally clean signal source :frowning2:..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back