how to eliminate computer noise?
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 50
So.... Connected to the Xonar I hear a very faint static noise. Connected to the motherboard, I don't hear any distortion...  Ultrasone pro 900s, which I believe are not very sensitive.

However with the Asgard connected to the motherboard's jack, I can hear the noise... Is it the Asgard then, I would be surprised...

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 50
So.... Connected to the Xonar I hear a very faint static noise. Connected to the motherboard, I don't hear any distortion...  Ultrasone pro 900s, which I believe are not very sensitive.

However with the Asgard connected to the motherboard's jack, I can hear the noise... Is it the Asgard then, I would be surprised...

The PRO900 are relatively sensitive (about on-par with the RS-1) (data: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf).

When you mention a "static noise" from the Xonar, is this similar to white noise or hiss? If so, it's likely just that the Xonar's gain is too high or some other mismatch with the fairly sensitive and low Z Ultrasones. Does this noise go away if you hook the Asgard up there and the Ultrasones to that? (I know it probably creates another noise) That'd be the easy way to confirm (or use the Mamba in this capacity).

Is the noise similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM (this is kind of loud, so don't crank the volume - note that it does fade in so the initial volume is quieter than the volume 10 or 20 or 40 minutes into it (ALSO: who on EARTH would listen to this? I love that I could find this so easily, but come on, TWELVE HOURS?)). If so, that's not a "problem" with the Xonar, it's just a mismatch between the Ultrasone and the Xonar - you can get an adapter to kill that (we'll get to that). You may also just try lowering the gain setting on the Xonar (if possible) and seeing if the noise goes away there.

At this point my thinking:

- Something is wrong with the Asgard, either internally, or it's silly 3-pin wiring causing a nice loop with the PC.
- Something *may* be wrong with the Mamba as well, or it's ability to source clean power from the PC. If it has an external power supply, or you have such a power supply (if you have a modern mobile phone it probably has a 5V USB power supply) I would test that out to confirm this (if it still misbehaves or misbehaves running on its battery, then something is wrong, if it only does it drawing from USB power off the PC, that's just between the PC and it, and you basically work around that).

Luckily, the Ultrasones don't require an amplifier that can move heaven and earth to drive them, so you can get away from the Asgard with no negative side-effects. I would continue troubleshooting the Mamba but otherwise I think the issue lies with the amplifier.

If any of the above is redundant to what you've already done, I apologize - I'm working on what I can assimilate and piece together from what you tell me, so I'm "behind" the curve and may be repeating myself or suggesting you try something you've already done. If that's the case, just ignore those steps or report back what happened if it was interesting (e.g. "I tried the Mamba on its battery only, and Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me he'd melt my brain if I didn't ask Lorianne to the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance").

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 50
Why not try a cheater plug to temporarily see if it is Asgard causing a loop?

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:
Because that's super-duper unsafe and creates a potentially lethal situation.

It's only unsafe if he potentially does something stupid. I could just be mistaking terms for the same thing. Is a ground lifter actually safer? Or just another cheater plug?

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #21 of 50
It's only unsafe if he potentially does something stupid. I could just be mistaking terms for the same thing. Is a ground lifter actually safer? Or just another cheater plug?

Define "ground lifter" - do you mean like the feature on some of the new Parasound amps, or some sort of stand-alone device that otherwise defeats the earth connection for Class 1 devices, in blatant violation of the NEC code?

The thing Parasound does is fine, and a nice feature to have. The other thing, no, don't do that.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:
Define "ground lifter" - do you mean like the feature on some of the new Parasound amps, or some sort of stand-alone device that otherwise defeats the earth connection for Class 1 devices, in blatant violation of the NEC code?
The thing Parasound does is fine, and a nice feature to have. The other thing, no, don't do that.

Yes, but without cutting ground pin. The only other thing that comes to mind is an Jensen Transformer. But maybe $60 bucks is too steep 
for a fix. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 50
Yes, but without cutting ground pin. The only other thing that comes to mind is an Jensen Transformer. But maybe $60 bucks is too steep 
for a fix. 

There are ground loop destroyers from Radio Shack, Cat # 270-054. Might try that.

AC Iso transformers (like the TrippLite ISOLator) can't cut Earth, again, per NEC. It's a safety thing.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:
There are ground loop destroyers from Radio Shack, Cat # 270-054. Might try that.
AC Iso transformers (like the TrippLite ISOLator) can't cut Earth, again, per NEC. It's a safety thing.

I am not quite sure what loop destroyers are. Are those ground lifts straight on the signal cable?

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #26 of 50
There is very likely a ground loop between the computer and the Asgard, others have reported similar problems. One possible solution (other than replacing the Asgard with something that is not grounded) is using a USB isolator with the USB DAC, like this one. Or use optical S/PDIF connection from the PC if your DAC supports it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:
If it was a laptop, I was going to tell you to unplug it from the wall and see if the noise stops - this is a common issue

I just tried this out and about 90% of the noise disappeared - I already know that my wall power sockets are stupidly noisy, but I've never tried it - cool!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #28 of 50
Well I disabled energy saving features on my CPU like Matt suggested (the Asgard seller) and it helped some. Now there is only white noise that varies in frequency depending on its load. This is without the D4 Dac. When I add the D4 into the equation, it's worse, making sounds when I scroll or change windows.

*sigh*

I may try the USB hub suggestion...

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:
Separate controller = not integrated audio. Since it's a desktop, how much do you know about it? (If it was a laptop, I was going to tell you to unplug it from the wall and see if the noise stops - this is a common issue).

Hi Obobskivich,

I have this problem with a D7 sidewinder + thinkpad laptop. Sounds great headphone out, but as soon as i connect via the RCA out -> receiver I get horrible noise. When I unplug the laptop from the wall and run on the battery the noise is gone.

I was thinking ups power but not sure. Any ideas how i can fix? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:
I was thinking ups power but not sure. Any ideas how i can fix? Thanks.

See the USB isolator suggested above if you are using a USB DAC. It isolates the DAC both from the ground of the computer (probably the most common source of problems), and the USB power as well with an external AC/DC adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back