How to elegantly connect a smartphone and amp?
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bazirker

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Galaxy S5 and a UHA760.  I like to use the UHA760 as a DAC since the S5's internal DAC is so-so, and I have a ~6 inch usb micro-micro cable that lets me connect the two via USB OTG.  The problem I have is that this is a total pain in the ass to carry.  It works great when I'm just sitting at a desk, but if I'm on the go, it's super awkward.  

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a way to attach the phone and amp so they can be carried as one?  Back in the day of dedicated PMP's, I'd just slap a rubber band around the pair, but that doesn't work so great with a touchscreen phone.  Traditional velcro doesn't feel very secure, and I also don't like that when my phone is fuzzy when it isn't hooked up to my amp. Any ideas?

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Super Glue.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Nope, not really. I've seen head-fiers put the components into a sack, but again, it makes it hard to use the phone. I think it is at this point that many head-fiers decide to bite the bullet and buy an audiophile DAP.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Nope, not really. I've seen head-fiers put the components into a sack, but again, it makes it hard to use the phone. I think it is at this point that many head-fiers decide to bite the bullet and buy an audiophile DAP.

Yep. I don't see how a DAC/amp strapped to a phone with a wire connecting the two is a user friendly situation.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 10
  I have a Galaxy S5 and a UHA760.  I like to use the UHA760 as a DAC since the S5's internal DAC is so-so, and I have a ~6 inch usb micro-micro cable that lets me connect the two via USB OTG.  The problem I have is that this is a total pain in the ass to carry.  It works great when I'm just sitting at a desk, but if I'm on the go, it's super awkward.  

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a way to attach the phone and amp so they can be carried as one?  Back in the day of dedicated PMP's, I'd just slap a rubber band around the pair, but that doesn't work so great with a touchscreen phone.  Traditional velcro doesn't feel very secure, and I also don't like that when my phone is fuzzy when it isn't hooked up to my amp. Any ideas?

What are you driving them with on the go? Why not just use an efficient IEM when you're on the move and use NeutronMusicPlayer to correct any big response issues (I flatten the bass a lot when using only my S3, the response on my ASG-1.3 has a lot of bass and it all comes out boomy and somewhat "slow" on the SGS3), then when I get home I dock it with my reference system.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 10

What are you driving them with on the go? Why not just use an efficient IEM when you're on the move and use NeutronMusicPlayer to correct any big response issues (I flatten the bass a lot when using only my S3, the response on my ASG-1.3 has a lot of bass and it all comes out boomy and somewhat "slow" on the SGS3), then when I get home I dock it with my reference system.

Because this is Head-Fi, where's the fun in that?!?!  :-D

That's actually what I end up doing most of the time; I just listen with my Merlins to my phone directly.  It doesn't sound as good as it does it I use my UHA760 though, hence the interest in actually using my "portable" amp on the road.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 10

Because this is Head-Fi, where's the fun in that?!?!  :-D

That's actually what I end up doing most of the time; I just listen with my Merlins to my phone directly.  It doesn't sound as good as it does it I use my UHA760 though, hence the interest in actually using my "portable" amp on the road.

Well there's also the real world with streets and what not, so while on the move your brain is processing other stimuli. The inconvenience of having to use a phone as a phone while you have an amp or DAC hooked up to it while on the move isn't all that much "fun."

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 10
My setup fits in my pocket really well. And I got good with grabbing it has a whole unit. When holding it in the hand, the DragonFly bends round behind the phone, and it feels much less cumbersome.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 10
I get 5-6 hours. With higher impedance headphones it might drain faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back