how to dual boot vista and xp
Sep 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi, I can't really remember the details off the top of my head but you will want to install XP FIRST

Vista will detect XP and then you can install Vista on to a different partition or drive, the next time you boot up the PC you will be greeted with Vista's boot loader where you can pick between XP and Vista.

If you only have one hard drive and are unfamiliar with partitions I would suggest you read a bit about them first, there should be a lot of detailed and specific guides out there for doing what you seek to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't get it, what are the benefits of installing both?

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it, what are the benefits of installing both?

Vista is known to have some compatibility problems with older legacy hardware or software, XP is there for the rare occasions it's needed to work around these issues. (for me at least)
XP also seems to run better on slightly older hardware which Vista can put the hurt on.. My sister's laptop literally crawls and it came preloaded with Vista.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah that's probably where I went wrong, I did vista then xp at first

ya, for sure. I've made the same mistake.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh GOD... yes... XP FIRST. I tried to dual boot my Asus with Vista when I first got it (after I had installed all my stuff) and completely wasted the MBR. Had to restore back to scratch. I wasted hours before I read that you've got to do XP first.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Al4x

You need a minimum of two partitions into your HDD, but I'd advice you making 4 to have a layout like this:
c:\ the boot partition which should be active and primary. You don't need to make it big, just about 1Gb or less to keep the boot files.
d:\ first partition (logical into an extended) to keep one of your OS, probably XP since it's the first one you must install.
e:\ second partition (also logical into the extended) to keep the second OS, in your case the Vista thing once XP is installed and working.

I'd strongly advice you to make another partition f:\ to keep your files, the ones you woldn't like to lose in the case you needed to format any of the OS partitions for XP or Vista. You can direct there your documents, pics, mp3, etc.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back