How to do this in foobar2000?
Jun 9, 2007 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LuckyKarma

500+ Head-Fier
I basically want my media library to be made into a playlist that will update when I rescan it (after adding new music). I had a setup on my laptop where I had a box with the list of artists in my media library, then when I clicked on the artist the albums from that artist appeared in the box below it. I don't remember how I set it up at all, aside from using ColumnsUI. Does anyone have/know how to setup something like this?

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Not sure what you mean, but you know you can add stuff to your media library without scanning?

Put your new album in its final resting place, i.e. the folder foobar scans. Open up foobar, then either drag and drop the new folder into the playlist area or via File>Add Files, add the new folder that way.

Now it will be in your playlist, selected. Go into your 'Media Library', right click & refresh. Look where the new data should be and it should have added it.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah I have this issue with foobar for a long time. It not a big deal, but its one step from perfection. Sorry but I am not going through the above steps.

Winamp can auto scan your library when you load it. With foobar you have to scan the album list, refresh the album list, then add it to your playlist. It;s about the same for both software, they both have a library windows and a playlist window.

I prefer just one window that is more intact and auto update itself. I can see why people like iTunes now.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikus Rakis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) get Autoplaylist Manager from http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html
2) the Library -> autoplaylist
3) Query: NOT ALL IS GOLDEN

i'm using autoplaylist and somehow i still can't get it to work properly. i want my playlist to reflect the c:\music folder and update itself realtime. so in the query box i put

%path% HAS c:\music\

as i logically thought it should be. however, when i click "preview", the list isn't refreshed. e.g. there are entries on the preview that aren't in my music folder.

i'm guessing autoplaylist is searching tracks not from the hdd itself but some other playlist/library which i dont know of and dont know how to configure.

what am i doing wrong?

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 12
1) Is c:\music\ in Preferences -> Media library -> Music folders
2) Do Library -> Rescan media library (you can add a shortcut for that action)
3) in preview window Right click on any item that is not in Your music folder -> Properties -> Properties -> File path -> right click -> copy
4) change Preview format in autoplaylist manager to %path%

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

1) Is c:\music\ in Preferences -> Media library -> Music folders
2) Do Library -> Rescan media library (you can add a shortcut for that action)
3) in preview window Right click on any item that is not in Your music folder -> Properties -> Properties -> File path -> right click -> copy
4) change Preview format in autoplaylist manager to %path%

i've tried it, and it works everytime i rescan the library. however, what i really want is a playlist that lists everything in a folder, e.g. c:\music\, and updates real-time and automatically whenever a track is added or removed from the folder. unless the library rescanning can be done automatically everytime there're changes in the folder, if there even is such a function at all, it wont fulfil wat i want.

this feature is available in both winamp and media monkey, i duno y it's not available in foobar up till now.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i duno y it's not available in foobar up till now.

IIRC it was said in HA.org that auto update would be slow. Do You get new tracks in that folder every second that You need auto update?
As workaround You can:
  1. create a shortcut to Rescan Library function
  2. use foobar2000.exe /command:"Rescan Media Library" command using Windows scheduler
  3. probably use foo_scheduler

And don't forget that foobar2000 is not winamp or media monkey

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

IIRC it was said in HA.org that auto update would be slow. Do You get new tracks in that folder every second that You need auto update?
As workaround You can:
  1. create a shortcut to Rescan Library function
  2. use foobar2000.exe /command:"Rescan Media Library" command using Windows scheduler
  3. probably use foo_scheduler

And don't forget that foobar2000 is not winamp or media monkey

i dont get new tracks every second, but i get them almost daily. and i dont like closing foobar, i just leave it minimised. and i rarely turn off/restart my laptop. that's y an auto-update function will be great for me.

auto-update in foobar is slow, i know. winamp and MM updates in a much shorter time, and fulfils its purposes.

i dont ever remember saying foobar IS winamp or media monkey.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 12
I use foo_playlist_bind

Does exactly what I was looking for: Synchronize playlist with contents of specific directory (or multiple directories)

http://www.skipyrich.com/foobar/foo_playlist_bind.ptml

playlist_bind.png

playlist_bind1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back