How to dissect headphones
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evantay26

New Head-Fier
Im a new head fi er and my mdr xb700s jack just broke. I would replace it but im getting the ath m50s in january so i figure it would be a fun project to take them apart and maybe make a new pair of headphones out of the parts. Sorry if this should be in the DIY section, im new and dont know my way around. Any help would be appreciated.

Evan

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I would imagine that a better project (and much easier, if you're just starting out DIY-ing with headphones) would be to replace the broken plug (not jack, the jack is what the plug goes into) on your XB700's with a new one.  Buy a simple 3.5mm plug, find a tutorial, and replace it.  If you haven't done much with headphones before, replacing a plug seems like a much less daunting task than building a pair of headphones.

Replacing a plug is a much less challenging task than dismantling a headphone, and much less can go wrong than when you have an entire headphone's worth of parts strewn about your desk.  Thin little internal wires can snap easily, and all sorts of bad things.  With plug replacement, you worry about only one wire and one plug.

Also, no two pairs of headphones disassemble the same.  Especially in the case of the XB700, which I believe has its ear cushions glued onto the plastic frame, so it's a pain to get off, and you have to glue it back on carefully.  Not a good choice for a first time.  But plug replacements are basically the same across headphones.

Another thing too, the XB700 has a unique sound signature, which I expect to be considerably different than the ATH-M50's you are planning to get.  The XB700 is designed for pure bass fun, while the M50 is more well-rounded, though still a bit bass-heavy.  It's not a crime to have more than one pair of headphones, I have three, and am hopefully getting a fourth soon.

TL;DR:
Just replace the broken plug on your broken XB700.  You'll have a MUCH higher chance of success for a first-time project, and two working pairs of headphones.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 7
I once had to replace the plug on my old Sennheiser HD205.  You just cut the plug off from the very end of the cable, then solder a new plug where the old one was.  I've never seen the XB700 cable up close, but I'd assume it's pretty much the same thing, except flatter.

You'd only have to replace the cable outright if the stock cable broke in the middle, not the plug itself.  Or if the stock cable just happens to be one of those that you can't work with, either due to being unable to remove the insulation on the inner wires, or just being way too thin.  I literally had to burn the insulation off the inner wires of my HD205 cable, but after that, it was easy enough.  Every headphone is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back