How to determine preferred sound signature?
Nov 3, 2017 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ivo001

100+ Head-Fier
There are so many terms that can describe a sound signature, like V-shaped, Bright etc.
The explanations about what they do in the headphone buying guide are fairly straight forward, but I don't really know what signature to look for for listening to certain types of music.

My main music preference is Rock and some metal (if not the extreme kind) like The Outlaws and Alter Bridge, but I also enjoy listening to Drum & Bass like Netsky or Disclosure.

Which sound signature best fits to these music styles?

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 10
There are so many terms that can describe a sound signature, like V-shaped, Bright etc.
The explanations about what they do in the headphone buying guide are fairly straight forward, but I don't really know what signature to look for for listening to certain types of music.

My main music preference is Rock and some metal (if not the extreme kind) like The Outlaws and Alter Bridge, but I also enjoy listening to Drum & Bass like Netsky or Disclosure.

Which sound signature best fits to these music styles?

It depends less on music style and more on your preferences. Not to mention that in some cases recommendations on music styles just seem overwhelming because some people just repeat other people without taking certain things into account.

For example, if I list my own music here under a different newbie account, chances are people will claim I should get Grado. Way past them on that one. They were great for a lot of music, but with symphonic metal, they just sound like they're tossing everything at you you might as well start ducking in case they do toss the kitchen sink. Then they'd tell me to use the HD6xx for jazz. I actually liked them the other way around - Sennheiser HD6xx for symphonic metal and generally everything, but I enjoyed Grados for jazz as the midrange boost really made for a "raw" and forward vocal sound that was kind of like being in a small jazz bar (except the acoustic reflections are better managed).

At best what I could say based on your music preferences is recommend what you try out, but not necessarily with any certainty they'd be your last, just the first you should probably check out (and if you're happy with any of these then by all means use them without trying something else) - Grado SR125, Philips SHP9500S.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your response. I expected certain signatures to be recommended for certain musical styles, but as I understand from you, it is largely user dependent.
As for the recommended headsets you posted, i'm looking into IEM in the price range up to about $60 max, not really looking for a proper over-ear headset at the moment.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for your response. I expected certain signatures to be recommended for certain musical styles, but as I understand from you, it is largely user dependent.
As for the recommended headsets you posted, i'm looking into IEM in the price range up to about $60 max, not really looking for a proper over-ear headset at the moment.

I tend to use IEMs in that price range more as a beater, so I'm not that particular about sound, just comfort generally, although the stock cables are almost always microphonic, so if anything, get one that has removable cables.

Maybe look into the TFZ ZST and the upgrade cable. If after reading reviews you decide to try it, the stock cable first, if it's not microphonic then use it and keep the better upgrade cable around in case your stock cable breaks.

One note about IEMs though - headphones and IEMs depend a lot on proper fit/how you wear them, even more than speakers are dependent on room acoustics, and for IEMs specifically you really need to try out tips as much as IEMs themselves. Also, since fit is very important, there's a chance the ZST shell might be too big for your outer ear concha.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Good to see somebody enjoying some Alter Bridge, they were my favorite band all through my teenage years.

As mentioned earlier, it really depends on your preferences. Ideally, a good headphone for rock might be something that has a good amount of punch and a strong midrange, with clear treble but maybe a bit rolled off as to not get annoying...but that's entirely subjective.

Take Alter Bridge for example. Tremonti loves to throw aggressive and emotional solos into the middle of the songs, so for me, I'd pick a headphone that is able to convey that aspect in a convincing way. I also find the majority of their songs, especially anything from their earlier albums, to have a recessed low end and not much punch. So a headphone with some good mid bass impact would sound pretty good in that sense.

In the grand scheme of things, it's most important to find a sound signature that fits your tastes. Generally, you should pick from a list of headphones with relatively balanced natures, and decide based on the smaller characteristics. For example, the HD598, HD650, LCD2, HD800S, and ZMF Eikon could all be called relatively balanced. None of them have a frequency that is disproportionate to the rest, but they're all entirely different in sound. In deciding which is best for rock music I would factor in my desires: punchy bass that doesn't bleed into the midst, smooth midrange, and slightly rolled off highs without sacrificing clarity. Going from there I'd decide if I want a transparent sound or a meaty sound. If I want punch, detail for days, and clarity, I'd go HD800S. If I wanted a meaty sound with less highs and more punch, I'd go Eikon. If I wanted relaxed and smooth with rolled off highs and amazing minds, I'd go HD650. Those are the real decisions that people need to make when deciding on a headphone because the headphones that are described as "V shaped" or "U shaped" have so many differences within each category.

Unfortunately the only true way to know if you'll like a headphone is to listen to it. I've been lucky with blind buys so far: 598, 650, Momentum 2, LCD2. After all the research I've done on the ZMF Atticus and after all my experience with testing many headphones, I was certain that I'd love this headphone. I was lucky enough to find a fellow Head-Fi member who was willing to lend me both his Atticus and Eikon and they're both currently on my desk.

As it turns out, regardless of how much research I did, I was utterly wrong about the Atticus. I don't enjoy it at all. The Eikon on the other hand blew me away with how good it sounds. It goes to show that listening to cans in person is the single best way to figure out what sound you like.

The end.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 10
In deciding which is best for rock music I would factor in my desires: punchy bass that doesn't bleed into the midst, smooth midrange, and slightly rolled off highs without sacrificing clarity.
This is the kind of advice that I was looking for. Giving me a direction to look into.
The named headphones are also interestng, but i'm not really looking into getting any of that, as i'm more focusing towards IEM in the range of $20-60.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 10
This is the kind of advice that I was looking for. Giving me a direction to look into.
The named headphones are also interestng, but i'm not really looking into getting any of that, as i'm more focusing towards IEM in the range of $20-60.
Im just not well versed enough in IEMs to use them as examples :p

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 10

At $20-60 range, I don't think you'll find one. If you can get enough budget for Shure SE215, I think they have that good punch bass, smooth mids and rolled-off highs without sacrificing clarity

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Fiio Ex1's, maybe, would work out in the price range. But don't expect miracles in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back