How to delete songs/folders in foobar?
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

barksdale

Head-Fier
I am trying to give Foobar another shot.  I am finding the music organization very poor compared to iTunes 'automatically manage music.'

When I remove a song in Foobar, it's not actually deleted.  I am not exactly sure what this feature even does.  When you open Foobar again, the song is back.  I assume 'remove' is only for playlists. 

If you go 'right click > file operations > delete file' it will move the song to the recycle bin.  The folder however remains.

So if I delete 100 songs from different albums, there will be a ton of empty folders.  So I will have to go through each folder one by one to clean out my music library.  This is not convenient at all.

How can I fix this?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 26
Think of Foobar2000 as a music manager not a storage program.  This is the beauty of the program.  You can move, delete, and create new playlists and not worry about accidentally removing your precious music from your hard drive.

Just delete the songs from the playlist and keep the actual music file.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
Think of Foobar2000 as a music manager not a storage program.  This is the beauty of the program.  You can move, delete, and create new playlists and not worry about accidentally removing your precious music from your hard drive.

Just delete the songs from the playlist and keep the actual music file.

That's not what I want.

Just as you say - as Music Manager.

I want my collection of albums and songs to be organized.  Not empty folders, properly tagged songs, and so on.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 26
You want something that removes them from disk as well or just removes them from your album list for good, but keeps the files?

There should be an option in Foobar to do that (exclude previously deleted files from future scans).  I know there is an option to do that in J. River Media Jukebox (as well as a popup when you delete a file that asks you if you want to just delete it from the album list, move it to the recycle bin, or remove it from disk entirely). 

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 26
No I want them removed from disk.

Example - song in my library I don't want anymore AT ALL.

Delete the song - song is sent to recycle bin - but empty folder the song was in remains.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Options/Display/Context menu/File Operations/Delete file

Now I guess you want the option directly in the context menu and without the prompt, sorry...

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
Options/Display/Context menu/File Operations/Delete file

Now I guess you want the option directly in the context menu and without the prompt, sorry...

There is no File operations under context menu.  You can right click a song and go file operations > delete.

I don't think you understand.

I have no problem deleting a song or songs.

Empty folders are left behind when a song is deleted.  That leaves a very messy music library.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 26
So your saying then the songs are left in the library viewer after you delete the songs in the music folder? im trying to replicate your issue

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
There is no File operations under context menu.  You can right click a song and go file operations > delete.

I don't think you understand.

I have no problem deleting a song or songs.

Empty folders are left behind when a song is deleted.  That leaves a very messy music library.

I just installed Foobar (installing a plugin for Media Jukebox, and installed it for Foobar too just in case) and I noticed that File Operations is not installed by default.  You have to check the box under Optional Components.  Not sure how to add it after the fact.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
So your saying then the songs are left in the library viewer after you delete the songs in the music folder? im trying to replicate your issue

No I have NO problem deleting a song inside Foobar.

Right click song > file operations > delete file = Song goes to recycle bin.

C:\ Music \ Artist Name Here \ Album Name here \ SONG WAS DELETED HERE

Song was deleted bu "ALBUM" remains.

So there is an empty folder inside my music.

To LiquidZoo - I made sure that was checked when installing.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 26
i see your issue my does that too i guess i never deleted the music in foobar before just out of the folder

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 26
try this and see if it helps if you go to library>album list>album name>file operations>delete

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
hi
you just delete song in your playlist

yes but if you do that it only deletes the song and hes trying to remove the whole album folder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back