How to decide between bad recording and bad Gear?
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

i'm not 100% if i'm in the correct section of the forum, none the less, here goes.
Yesterday i listened to some of my newer albums. I've got a flac version (16/44) of Ed Sheerans Divide. Upon listening to "Dive", i noticed some really odd digital distortion from the first chorus onward. It sounds like the Output is slightly clipping. Even turning down the volume i felt it was there.

Now the question is, since i don't have a good DAC and HPAMP (using the scarlet 2i2 currently), how do i determine whether my Headphones/DAC/Amp reached their limit or the file/recording is bad? I feel that it's so obvious, no engineer would put it on a disc. Yet, it's the first recording I've had this Problem with.

Any Tips on how to analyze such an "issue"?

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 4
My best advice is to try using other pieces of equipment in a controlled manner. Change headphones first and see if it stays. If it does then go back to original headphones but try a different DAC. If it still stays then go back to original headphones and DAC but use a different amp. Borrow things if you've got to. If it is still there then it is on the album.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey everyone,

i'm not 100% if i'm in the correct section of the forum, none the less, here goes.
Yesterday i listened to some of my newer albums. I've got a flac version (16/44) of Ed Sheerans Divide. Upon listening to "Dive", i noticed some really odd digital distortion from the first chorus onward. It sounds like the Output is slightly clipping. Even turning down the volume i felt it was there.

Now the question is, since i don't have a good DAC and HPAMP (using the scarlet 2i2 currently), how do i determine whether my Headphones/DAC/Amp reached their limit or the file/recording is bad? I feel that it's so obvious, no engineer would put it on a disc. Yet, it's the first recording I've had this Problem with.

Any Tips on how to analyze such an "issue"?

Where do you hear this distortion? is it related to one instrument/track, or does the whole track sound digitally distorted?

In my opinion it’s unlikely to be the 2i2 as this is used by a hell of a lot of bedroom producers (even some pros as well)

My betting is that “Dive” contains a track that’s either been clipped accidently, or it’s been bitcrushed for effect.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Nope, it's the whole track. I was also able to reproduce it yesterday when my HD600 arrived (which made it even less likely to be gear imho).
It's just so strange that a top 10 record of such a well known artist would com with such an amount of artifects (and i doubt effect as it's acoustic guitar with singing, so...)
Noticed the same on "Castle on the Hill", the track before that. Makes it unlistenable for me...

I'll give it a closer listen later and see if i can hear where it's coming from.

Edit: Did some further digging in other forums. It's definitly the recording. Many people seem to complain about the quality. How such a quality left any studio is beyond me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back