How to deal with customs/import duties?
Jul 2, 2015 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tusing

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, all,

So I'm planning to get my first CIEM's  from abroad (I'm in the US) later this year. And I think I've run into a problem - everything I've read shows that the mailman UPS asks for customs duties during deliveries. The problem?

I live in university housing. The mailroom is, of course, unwilling to pay for customs duties. They also have no accommodation for customs duties payments.

What do I do? Any ideas or suggestions? 

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you sure its going to be coming via mail, or will it be UPS etc? If its the latter, might be able to pick it up and pay duties. I didn't have duties on my monitor, but I was able to pick it up from DHL by going to their site and requesting it.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 8
After another 30-minute phone call with the UPS International, they said they can deal with customs charges if I call them right after my package goes through customs. Then they can charge my credit card for customs, and from there and I won't have to worry about uni housing not accepting it.

Who knew I would actually end up hoping it takes time to reach me after passing through customs?

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Wouldn't there be an option to have it delivered to the nearest UPS Store?

Nah. For international packages to my specific zip code, they can only deliver to Customer Centers, apparently. Another rep said they can, but it depends on the package. It's all pretty confused, but I think I've figured it out (see above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back