How to convert to mp3 gapless albums?
Nov 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, my music is in lossless formats, but since my car cd player supports only mp3 or wma, I  have to convert to these formats, usually I use lame encoder vo to convert to mp3,

Since lately I`m in the mood for some gapless albums like "Tommy", "The Wall", and others, really find disturbimg when I hear a half sec pause between tracks where it shouldn`t be..
frown.gif

I`m not that maniac, it`s just that I love these albums,

I tried Foobar and JRiver, but there`s no gapless when converted to mp3,
I can use an option in foobar to convert all files to one, but in these case I cannot skip songs anymore (so why I need gapless anyway??)

So is there any easy way, and why lame encoder doesn`t work??

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 9
The songs should play gapless on foobar2000, Winamp, or any other player that supports it.
You don't have to do anything special, when you rip a gapless song to mp3, the mp3 is gapless as well.

It's surely your car CD player's fault. It seems it doesn't support gapless playback.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Ok, my music is in lossless formats, but since my car cd player supports only mp3 or wma, I  have to convert to these formats, usually I use lame encoder vo to convert to mp3,

does your car cd player play normal cd's? why not burn the lossless files to the cd format. you'd get better audio quality

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 9
The converted MP3 files should play gapless in Foobar and J River Media Center as long as Foobar and J River Media Center are correctly configured to play gapless track changes.  If you have problems with Foobar or J River then maybe the converter program you are using isn't writing the correct LAME gapless offsets.  But most likely your LAME MP3 files are properly encoded.

The problem is most likely that your car CD player cannot play MP3 files gaplessly.  Very very few MP3 players can do gapless playback of MP3 files.  I would suspect that no CD player that can play MP3 files from a CDR can play those files gaplessly.

Best bet is to burn your gapless albums as regular audio CDs.  Just be sure to use a burning program that won't set a 1 or 2 second gap between every track.

Other option is to put your MP3 files on an iPod and play the iPod through the auxiliary input of your car CD player.  That is if your car CD player has an aux input.  The iPod can play gapless MP3 tracks.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks guys,

Yes the cd player is the culprit, since I use a memory card for the mp3 files, eliminating hundreds of cds, but I never thought that  gapless playback was such a luxury,

Yes the cd audio playback should be gapless,.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 9
CD audio should be gapless.  But on a car CD player or portable CD player they may enable features like skip proof playback where they buffer a bit of audio.  The skip proof mode may not be gapless.  If you have the option of disabling features like that you may be able to get gapless playback.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Separate mp3 will never work in your car stereo because:
1. it doesn't handle the accurate length info (this will cause a very small gap)
2. it buffers some audio before it actually starts playing each mp3 (this will cause a big gap)

Best option is still to create 1 mp3 of a whole CD. That will always work.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 9
hey all/anybody
i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,my car stereo and my Sony DVD player doesnt play gapless albums.there is jerk of a second or more!...even i tried in many CD/DVD player brands,the problem is same!?!?what brand of CD DVD PLAYERS would work,or any other solution?....m not proffesional mixer/compressor......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back