How to convert Flac -> Alac using foobar?
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lonereaction

100+ Head-Fier
I've been searching for half an hour now, but there isn't a step by step guide to convert flac to alac.. I installed the "ALAC decoding support" but it doesn't add the option to convert flac to alac.

Normally I convert flac to mp3s using foobar, but wanted to try some lossless
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 14
The Foobar2000 ALAC component only support decoding (playback), not encoding.
I think you will need to use iTunesEncode (and iTunes) to achieve that.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Foobar2000 ALAC component only support decoding (playback), not encoding.
I think you will need to use iTunesEncode (and iTunes) to achieve that.

Yeah, that itunesencode program is pretty nifty. That's a pretty easy way to get where you want to go. Other than that I think you'd have to get dbpoweramp, I think that program can do it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I have both Foobar and dbpoweramp as I would like to convert FLAC to ALAC. I am able to use dbpoweramp, but wanted to test it against Foobar for quality.

Is there a difference? And if so, I am trying to get the ALAC coder loaded on Foobar, but not sure how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

skoog

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoog5600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both Foobar and dbpoweramp as I would like to convert FLAC to ALAC. I am able to use dbpoweramp, but wanted to test it against Foobar for quality.

The files contain exactly the same data, unless the ALAC encoder malfunctions.

If you want to be sure, get the "Binary Comparator" plugin for Foobar. You can decode the FLAC file and the ALAC file, and it will tell you if the audio data differs (it ignores tags, and other data).

If the Binary Comparator tells you the files are identical, and you hear a difference, then either you're experiencing the placebo effect, or the player you're using doesn't handle the two formats in the same way.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 14
"or the player you're using doesn't handle the two formats in the same way"

should be: or the player's decoder is broken (highly unlikely in stable software)

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"or the player you're using doesn't handle the two formats in the same way"

should be: or the player's decoder is broken (highly unlikely in stable software)

I was including the possibility that media players could apply DSPs to some formats and not others. It does occasionally happen, even if it shouldn't.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Never happened to me and processing usually is done after decoding, but maybe you had other experiences.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The files contain exactly the same data, unless the ALAC encoder malfunctions.

If you want to be sure, get the "Binary Comparator" plugin for Foobar. You can decode the FLAC file and the ALAC file, and it will tell you if the audio data differs (it ignores tags, and other data).

If the Binary Comparator tells you the files are identical, and you hear a difference, then either you're experiencing the placebo effect, or the player you're using doesn't handle the two formats in the same way.

Problem solved I rockboxed my IMOD and using FLAC so no conversion of any kind ... tis a beautiful ting, the sounds I am hearing.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 14
I use a program called "Easy CD-DA Extractor" to convert FLAC to ALAC and it works great in iTunes and on my iPod Touch (2G 16MB model).

I like using this program as it keeps all the tags intact including embedded artwork (although I always have to "fix" the album artist to "Various Artists" when it is that type of album but that is easily done afterwards with MP3TAG which is freeware).

The only problem is that "Easy CD-DA Extractor" is not freeware but payware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back