How to controll your internet traffic?
Jan 19, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, Is there a way to control/manage your home network internet traffic? I'm trying to setup so there will only one pc which have access to p2p & torrent traffic and other pc won't be able to access p2p & torrent. Since the cable bill is under my name, I don't want to be in trouble for some illegal download by others in my network.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 10
good luck with that it is going to hard to limit bittorrent because the protocol supports encryption and can use anyport. I think it would be easier draft up a contract and limit access by mac address. If they get out of hand and use toomuch bandwidth you could always boot them off the network or use router's QoS and throttle them down.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good luck with that it is going to hard to limit bittorrent because the protocol supports encryption and can use anyport. I think it would be easier draft up a contract and limit access by mac address. If they get out of hand and use toomuch bandwidth you could always boot them off the network or use router's QoS and throttle them down.

OP: you get all that?
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Hmm whilst we're on the subject, is there any way of making it so that one computer has priority on a network? We have 5 or 6 up at a time and its becoming a pain with really slow speeds when trying to stream video, music etc.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's really not hard. Drop all outgoing traffic. Proxy or allow the traffic you want to allow. Disable uPnP.

Sure, it sucks for the user because all they can use is web and http based protocols, and maybe mail or something, but it's what you need to do to block P2P without resorting to ridiculously expensive filtering devices.

Quote:

Hmm whilst we're on the subject, is there any way of making it so that one computer has priority on a network? We have 5 or 6 up at a time and its becoming a pain with really slow speeds when trying to stream video, music etc.

Of course it's possible
wink.gif
. Not that easy to get working well though. You need a router that can do QoS and you need to know enough to set up rules that will achieve what you want.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Do you have a spare older computer around with a pair of network cards in it? if so go download a copy of freebsd(7 release is out in a few days) install, setup pf+altq or ipfw+dummynet and do some traffic shaping, you have a few choices, but I basically give my comp priority at home and the other comps get whats left over :p

Theres alot of howtos and help docs online, you can even download something like m0n0wall or pfsense which is a bootable iso and a little more user friendly.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 10
You can't QoS the Internet.
smily_headphones1.gif

You need something that will dork with your TCP windows to throttle incoming traffic. I think that's what netlimiter does, but I could be wrong.

Just beat the abusers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back