How to control power of two or more devices
Oct 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sarahb84

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I have a bit of a problem and hope you guys can help me with it. I bought these really cool Sony XSLE121W 12 inch subwoofer box. However, it only has audio input to my amp. Everytime I have to turn on my home entertainment system, I have switch 4-5 different power buttons on before everything is ready to go.

I know.. i know the lazy girl won't take few seconds to turn on the switch but my point is not every time I will remember to turn everything off. So it may consume a lot of power when not being used at all! That's why I am basically looking for something that can turn every single device on when I turn on my Blu-ray or my TV.

Any ideas guys?

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 7
A lot of home theater receivers have standard power jacks in the back that are switched on when you power on the receiver. However, depending on the receiver, they may not be rated for a high enough current to power a subwoofer. They usually can, however, power up your Blu-Ray and TV.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Congratz on your new Sony XSLE121W!!! You can try to find an external power device that can detect the load on one power outlet and turn the others on. I googled that solution and found these power strips called PwrUSB that exactly do this. Based on Amazon review it seems it does what it says it's suppose to do. Take a look at their website - pwrusb dot com

Good luck and don't wake up your neighbors with those bad boys (XSLE121W) 
beyersmile.png

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks colonelkernel8 and asullivan! I would definitely try out the PwrUSB solution. I googled PwrUSB and found their Amazon review to be very positive. Also their website is pretty informative. With NASA on the client list, hahaha I guess these are industrial grade heavy duty product. Thanks again!

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 7
I had the same problem with my tri-amped speakers and subwoofer. How to simply start up and shut off all of that stuff, especially with the sub located across the room, and with its power switch located on the back of the unit?

I picked up a remote controlled power outlet for fifteen dollars and connected it to a basic power strip.  Works greats!  It has a 15 amp rating, more than enough for my desktop system.  They advertise a 60' range for the key chain style remote, mine even worked from 20' away through a closed door,  It doesn't need to though, as the control unit is located under my desktop.   I got this one at a Menards store, but Amazon also sells them.

Woods 32555 Weatherproof Outdoor Outlet Remote Control Converter Kit

The PwrUSB option mentioned earlier also looks like a nice unit that is computer controlled versus using a key chain remote.

This is my first post.  I look forward to participating in some more of the many great discussion here at Hi-Fi!

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm getting a bit off topic here.

But I think the hifi companies need to wake up and develop some sort of controller for your hifi/av/TV etc.

Even programmable remotes are fraught with problems, it should be as simple as, I just saw some funny clip of a bunny on youtube, I want that on the TV. Just heard a song you like on a TV show, have the TV buy and download it, then sync it to your mp3 player and your car while you're at. Stream to and from your PCs and devices, send audio and video throughout your home. All devices openly communicating with each other.

Let alone smart powering up and down of other devices. Some sort of controller with it's own very low power sleep state could negate the need for standby mode on other devices.

I'll cut myself short because I'm ranting but I think just a few of those ideas are just scratching the surface, some sort of media "brain" to run the whole show sounds like a good idea to me, the issue would be interoperability, some companies just want to lock you into their proprietary systems.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 7
The problem nowadays is that many electronics appliances don't have a power switch, but a power button that only sends a command to a controller that then turn the unit ON. This last mode of operation will not turn the appliance back ON after a power loss. Before you invest in an external solution, make sure that the appliances you want to control will indeed power up automatically when you plug their power cord into the wall.

A simple way to test this:
  • Turn the appliance ON.
  • Unplug the power cord.
  • Wait a few seconds, amplifiers with huge capacitor banks can take a few minutes to fully power down.
  • Re-plug the power cord.

If the unit powers up, then you can control the unit only by switching the power at the power cord. If it doesn't, and you have to go press the power button, then you're doomed. Unless all your appliances are HDMI-CEC compatible. Of all the latest tech in home entertainment, I'll have to admit CEC is my favorite. About time such a thing becomes a reality.

That subwoofer model number you posted is an automotive passive subwoofer, you're really using this inside? How are you powering it?

I'm asking because most home entertainment powered sub-woofers will sens a signal at their audio inputs and go to sleep after a while if no signal is detected. They'll then power back up when a signal is detected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back