How to connect speakers, sub, amp and DAC together for my desktop
Jun 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Phestezeo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a newer setup for myself for my desktop computer and am wondering how I would go about connecting all of this. I have only ever had a basic 2.1 setup before in the past so I have never had to do any additional purchasing of cables, or anything of the like before, so I don't know what I would require. Effectively, I was hoping to connect a 2.0 speaker set, a subwoofer, an amp and a DAC and have them all to work in tandem for my PC. The items I am looking at so far are (suggestions are welcome, I don't have any of these yet):

Speakers: Paradigm Shift Series A2
Subwoofer: Dayton Audio SUB-1500 (Can get it for about $200CAD and have read some good things)
Amp: Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 Amplifier
DAC: Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus DAC

I have a small understanding of how this would all work, but I don't know how I would hook all of them up together. If it matters any, these would all be going into the motherboard of my PC or the soundcard I have now, if I don't decide to remove it and put it into a different PC of mine that is. If I would need any additional devices then I would happily take all suggestions, this goes for any alterations anyone has in mind for this work-in-progress setup.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 4
The Paradigm Shift Series A2 are powered. You don't need the Maverick A1 amp unless you buy passive speakers. And if you do want to power passive speakers, I would recommend the Indeed TA2021 or the Indeed TDA7498E, depending on whether you were looking for a lot of power or not.

The Tubemagic D1 has both USB and optical inputs. So you would connect it to your PC with one of those. Then use the pre-out on the back of the Maverick and split it so that you run both left and right outputs from it to both the Dayton and your speaker amp. That will let you control the volume of the speakers using the Maverick D1.

For $200, the Dayton SUB-1500 is definitely a good deal. :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, I have a very silly question to ask. What cables would I use to connect all of them together with? I was thinking I could use a 3.5mm to RCA and run that into the back of the subwoofer and the speakers but I don't know if that would work. Never done this before, nor had to use any cables like this for audio solutions, so I feel out of depth with this. It's a stupid question, I know, but if someone could humour me I would like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back