How to connect PC to speaker AND headphone amp?
Jan 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kwang411

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I usually use my Sony X player as my source, but currently I got myself a Little Dot MkIV SE and a pair of K701s, so I want to listen to the lossless files I have on my PC.

How would I connect BOTH computer speakers AND headphone amp at the same time, so that I can switch between the 2 outputs? So for example I want to use speakers to watch movies/play games, but use my K701s to listen to music. Right now I don't have a sound card, but I'm planning on getting one sometime.

Thanks in advance!
k701smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Option 1: use the volume control on the sound card/switch on the headphone amplifier and the switches on the speakers (for active speakers) or amplifier (passive)
Option 2: use a passive switch from the analog out of your speaker. (works if you are using a headphone amplifier) These can be more expensive than they need to be.
Option 3: if you really vary your use of speakers and headphones so definitely between tasks, get a multichannel sound card, set as the OS default the output corresponding the speakers, and set your music player to output to the sound card outputs corresponding to headphones.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Easiest: 1/8" splitter / Y adapter.

Moderate: Manually activated switch that has one in, and multiple outs. (See: STEREO AUDIO SWITCH - A B Audio Switch Box MK2 on this site.)

Best: Install a sound card, and have it drive one, and the other drive the... other. Sound Card --> Amp. Onboard --> Speakers. Somehow bridge the sound, or select dedicated audio devices inside your programs.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks CSMR, but I don't think options 1 and 2 are feasible because my speakers are just normal PC speakers. I think I will look into option 3.

I'm thinking about buying either a Onkyo SE90/SE200 or Creative 0404 card, though the 0404 seems better because it has 2 RCA outputs, which one could go to my speakers and one to my amp. I guess the only problem is that sound would come out from the speakers as well if I'm using my headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back