How to connect onkyo receiver to pc?
Sep 20, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

juventuscadillac

New Head-Fier
I just got a onkyo tx-sr304 receiver and would like to connect it to a x-fi soundcard, how do I do that? The receiver has no cables and i really don't know how to connect it and what I want to know is what type of cable should I buy and where to connect it,any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a x-fi xtremegamer and also a X-Fi Platinum and would be using a pair of Polk Audio R50's.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 12
If you have a Radio Shack near you, you should pick up a 1/8" mono to RCA adapter and a coaxial digital cable. Run the adapter and cable from the digital out on your X-Fi to the coaxial digital-in on your receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Youd use the coaxial since the X-Fi doesnt have optical. By doing this, you would be using the SPDIF.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 12
It depends. A 1/8" to stereo RCA adaptor plugged into the R/L out will utilize the X-Fi DAC. A coaxial digital cable plugged into the flexi-jack will bypass the DAC on the X-Fi and use the one on the receiver. Like was said above, try it both ways and see which sounds best to you.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 12
you don't need two cables

the X-Fi's flexijack is a 3.5mm just like the R/L out

you just switch the miniplug cable over to that, one of the outputs (right or left) is going to be the digital out, one is going to be the digital in, if you don't get music on a given channel, you've ocnnected the input, not the output, so switch them around

and try whichever sounds best, since its only buying one cable (and you gotta buy the cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back