How to connect multiple amplifiers to one source
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to connect muliple amplifiers to one source. Namely, my speaker amplifier and my headphone amplifier to my computer. I would only have one on at a time.

I guess what I'm asking is: do they make amp selectors for speaker/headphone equipment?

Any ideas?

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you just need a RCA splitter (assuming you are using the RCA output of your source).

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 13
Switchbox, RCA splitter, or similar

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 13
I just ordered a LR1 line router (switchbox) from Mapletree Audio Design. It's a little expensive for what it does, but pretty much solves any multiple source/multiple amp problems like yours. I haven't received it yet, so I can't personally attest to the quality, but, from what I've read, it's very good.

Mapletree Audio Design

It's the last item on that page.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwell2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a LR1 line router (switchbox) from Mapletree Audio Design. It's a little expensive for what it does, but pretty much solves any multiple source/multiple amp problems like yours. I haven't received it yet, so I can't personally attest to the quality, but, from what I've read, it's very good.

i have 2 sources and 3 amps (all balanced) and needed a way to easily switch between them. i ordered an LR 1 Pro Line Router from Mapletree Audio. I am SO happy with this thing. my life is so much easier. the build quality and wood work is amazing. no idea why i waited so long to get one. instead of constantly pulling and reinserting ICs, do yourself and get a line router.

highly recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 13
You can also try any one of a number of preamps.

I have a Conrad-Johnson PV2 preamp. It has two tape loops out. You can connect a headphone amp to each, connect four sources and also a power amp for speakers. It is amazingly convenient.

I think I paid about $350 for it a few years back. All tubes and it even has a phono preamp. I don't think there's anything better for the money, new or used.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you just need a RCA splitter (assuming you are using the RCA output of your source).

A one piece metal design, not cable. I use the adaptor at the source, I don't believe I heard signal degradation with this setup. Don't know about switch boxes.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 13
I am in the same boat. I want to connect my powered monitors and my headphone amp to the same source (my dac). My dac (apogee duet) only has 1 pair of outs and I currently have to play silly-buggers with plugging the relevant cables in. An inelegant solution.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 13
I am using a Behringer Minimon Mon800. It was a relatively inexpensive way of connecting multiple sources.

BEHRINGER: MON800

EDIT...

I use it connect multiple sources to multiple outs.

Another way would be to go with a studio mixer. Lots of options that route.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I am using a Behringer Minimon Mon800. It was a relatively inexpensive way of connecting multiple sources.

BEHRINGER: MON800

EDIT...

I use it connect multiple sources to multiple outs.

My brain is too simple...cannot compute all those multiple inputs!

Is the Behringer Mon800 suitable for recording from an LP source to computer?

I can't see inputs for anything other than CD/Tape. I do have a cassette tape player which gets regular use though. Can one of these be used for the LP input, or would I need a phono stage/pre-amp connection to feed into this?

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 13
You would need a phone pre-amp.

You have four inputs:
Mix A
Mix B
CD/Tape C
CD/Tape B

And three analog outs and two headphone outs.
For outs I have set up active nearfields, an integrated amp and I use 1 side of the third set for a sub.

You just push the selector button if you want it enabled.

I have firewire and USB dac connected to two of the inputs.

It works quite well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back