How to connect lighted rocker switch to power transformer
May 25, 2019 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hifihead

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to install a light rocker switch and I think it's connected correctly, but I would like confirmation that it's connected correctly because I'm not 100 percent sure. I want the light to be on only when the accessory is turned on. Here is the diagram.

P5240001.JPG

May 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 5
The arrows have no meaning with AC current. You also indicate a + and - on the switch, which implies DC current. DC current doesn't exist without rectification. DC is not available anywhere in your schematic. It looks to me like you will burn up the light in an instant.

"N" and "L" are Line and Neutral. What is "A?"

May 29, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 5
Let me clarify. It's AC current. The arrows are there to indicate where I make the connections. On the switch, it should be labeled 1,2,3. A being the accessory or device to connect. Yes, "N" is Neutral and "L" is Live. DC is going to be rectified on the headphone amp.

Therefore, I think it's the correct way to connect it. Please confirm if this is correct, if not then what's the correct way to connect it?

May 30, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Let me clarify. It's AC current. The arrows are there to indicate where I make the connections. On the switch, it should be labeled 1,2,3. A being the accessory or device to connect. Yes, "N" is Neutral and "L" is Live. DC is going to be rectified on the headphone amp.

Therefore, I think it's the correct way to connect it. Please confirm if this is correct, if not then what's the correct way to connect it?
Sorry, but what do you mean that "DC is going to be rectified on the headphone amp?" Does that mean you intend to connect the light in the switch to the rectified power supply from the amp? Your schematic shows nothing of the sort.

Many times, lighted switches use a separate power supply to power the light. This is often because the light bulb/LED/whatever needs a much smaller voltage (also typically DC) than line power. A lighted switch that uses line power for the lamp is often very expensive or industrial in nature. That's what I was getting to in my earlier post.

There are always exceptions, of course. How about showing us some info on the actual switch/light? We might be able to better help with that. :wink:

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 5
OK, you are making this way too complicated. Everything worked exactly like I thought it would. My diagram may have been a little confusing, but I tried to clarify in writing. Anyways, I appreciate your replies in trying to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back