How to connect iPhone to SR-71
Aug 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
Hi guys,

I have my first portable amp on the way and I haven't really thought on how to connect it to my iPhone 4 just yet.
It's the RSA SR-71, btw. It only has a single 3,5mm input.

I can imagine that I'd ideally bridge a DAC like the E7 in-between, but I rather start it slowly and check if I even notice a difference when properly amped.

There are a bunch of FiiO cables on Amazon that all look the same but have different names.
I also have the official universal dock, but apparently it does amp the output, right? Could I still use the dock with a FiiO cable? I think the dock has the same connection as the iPhone and would just service as a stand, right? I rather not lay my iPhone on the amp as I don't want the back to get scratched by the aluminum.

Any help with these newbie questions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 4
Most people with iPhones use something like the Fiio L3, which plugs into the bottom dock of your iPhone and then into the amp input.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have my first portable amp on the way and I haven't really thought on how to connect it to my iPhone 4 just yet.
It's the RSA SR-71, btw. It only has a single 3,5mm input.

I can imagine that I'd ideally bridge a DAC like the E7 in-between, but I rather start it slowly and check if I even notice a difference when properly amped.

There are a bunch of FiiO cables on Amazon that all look the same but have different names.
I also have the official universal dock, but apparently it does amp the output, right? Could I still use the dock with a FiiO cable? I think the dock has the same connection as the iPhone and would just service as a stand, right? I rather not lay my iPhone on the amp as I don't want the back to get scratched by the aluminum.

Any help with these newbie questions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

To get the best sound since you will have sr71b soon, you should look at LOD cables.

ALO
Moon-audio
Ray Samuels

They all sell LOD cables, I have the ALO LOD Triple 18awg cable BUT DO NOT recommend that cause it's very stiff.  After talking to Ray, ALO cables potentially can damage your SE output jack.  Should look for Moon-Audio silver cables instead.

Price for these LODs are somewhere between $100 to $200.
Also I suggest you to go balanced headphone cables, it makes bit differences. :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks,

I got the L3. I rather spend 300 $ on another pair of headphones than on cables. :)
I have not yet tried to connect the dock. I'm still trying to get used to the "amped sound"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back