How to connect headphones to old system?
Jan 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mcbrien

New Head-Fier
I am in the unfortunate position of having my hearing deteriorate to the point that I have trouble understanding dialogue while watching movies. I guess I was somewhat of an audiophile with a moderately high end system that I use for audio for dvds as well as for music. For my wife's sake I've decided to start using headphones for listening to movies, but I can't figure out what I need to hook them up. I have two preamps, a Pass solid state and an Audible Illusions tube (currently using the Pass) feeding a Muse 160. I think I'll try some Grado phones, since I have other Grado products that I like (tonearm and phono cartridge). I'm thinking of the SR-60 or SR-80 phones with a 15 ft cable extension. After trying to research this, I guess I'll need a head amp. If so, is it possible I could use my Audible Illusions as a head amp? If not, I guess I'll try to build a DIY head amp, but I'm retired and on a somewhat limited budget. At the same time, I hate junk.
Decades ago I had Stax headphones and can't remember how they hooked up, but I presume it was downstream of the preamp and not the power amp. I'm not sure though.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I am in the unfortunate position of having my hearing deteriorate to the point that I have trouble understanding dialogue while watching movies. I guess I was somewhat of an audiophile with a moderately high end system that I use for audio for dvds as well as for music. For my wife's sake I've decided to start using headphones for listening to movies, but I can't figure out what I need to hook them up. I have two preamps, a Pass solid state and an Audible Illusions tube (currently using the Pass) feeding a Muse 160. I think I'll try some Grado phones, since I have other Grado products that I like (tonearm and phono cartridge). I'm thinking of the SR-60 or SR-80 phones with a 15 ft cable extension. After trying to research this, I guess I'll need a head amp. If so, is it possible I could use my Audible Illusions as a head amp? If not, I guess I'll try to build a DIY head amp, but I'm retired and on a somewhat limited budget. At the same time, I hate junk.
Decades ago I had Stax headphones and can't remember how they hooked up, but I presume it was downstream of the preamp and not the power amp. I'm not sure though.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated. 

I think you'd get some more success posting this in the amp forum here on Head-Fi. Sorry about your hearing; a lot of us have a fear that the same will happen to us because of headphone listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back