How to connect E12 with a DAC? Quick Question!
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

opponentmule2

WARNING! DO NOT TRADE! FEEDBACK IS FROM A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT!
IP Address matches arachon101, Holy8414171
I plan on getting a E12 and connecting it with a DAC like the Schiit Modi. I heard some really good things about both, and thought i could get this portable + desktop setup for my K702 + m50 I've a quick question regarding what sort of connectors i need to buy? I know i need a RCA cable to connect the DAC to the amp? Also, I need something like a USB cable? (Which one? There are so many different terminals, which one is the one that the modi uses?)

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 11
You need a USB cable to connect the Modi to your computer. Not completely sure which one, but Schiit can tell you if they don't include one in the package.

Then you need an RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect the Modi to the E12.

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I plan on getting a E12 and connecting it with a DAC like the Schiit Modi. I heard some really good things about both, and thought i could get this portable + desktop setup for my K702 + m50 I've a quick question regarding what sort of connectors i need to buy? I know i need a RCA cable to connect the DAC to the amp? Also, I need something like a USB cable? (Which one? There are so many different terminals, which one is the one that the modi uses?)

3ft cable to connect the Modi to a source (computer).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=8615&seq=1&format=2

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Alright thank you.

Do you think this is a good idea to do this?

Also, do you think it'll be much much better if i can get a Matrix M stage + Modi? What difference in SQ can i expect from upgrading the amp to a M stage?

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Also what's some really good  cables for audio? I see a lot of 1-2 dolllars cables, but i don't want to save a few dollars and destroy my SQ

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 11
USB cables tend to work or not. It's a digital signal so it either gets there or doesn't. Don't spend a lot on USB cables. See if the less expensive one works.

Audio cables offer greatly diminishing increases in quality as you go up in price, if any appreciable difference at all. Monoprice makes very good budget cables for the money. Even if you spent a lot more, you might not be able to tell.

So wait on playing the cable upgrade game for much later in your audiophile journey :)

Any reason why you wouldn't get a Schitt Audio headphone amp to go with the Modi instead of the M-Stage? Just curious.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Because I saw a m stage used, for around 170. I heard a lot of good things about the m stage. People told me I won't hear a difference between the e12 and the magni, so I rather have the portability too. But if the m stage have much higher SQ, I think the m stage is the smarter choice

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't know if you would hear a difference.

Nice thing about the M-Stage is that it has two audio inputs and also has audio out. So you could hook a computer to it via the Modi and an X-box via analog out, and also also hook up speakers.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 11
I was told the Magni and E12 is on the same level in terms of SQ, i'm not sure how much of a upgrade is the m stage compared to a magni.

But do you think an e12 + Modi setup will make the k702 sound reasonbly well? 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm sure the E12 will drive the K702s very well.

For strictly non portable use, I would prefer the Matrix M-Stage also for it's larger volume knob that is not going to rest right on the table/surface where using it. I recently replaced my O2 amp with an Asgard 2, and it's nice not having all the cables crowded up against a tiny volume knob. For the $40 difference, I would pay for that convenience and the additional input/output options.

The E12 apparently also has the potential to have EMI interference problems which might or might not be a problem for you. See ClieOSs review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/655283/impression-fiio-e12-mont-blanc-way-to-pinnacle
I would listen to him since he is probably THE portable headphone amp on head-fi. :)

As far as M-Stage vs. Modi? Modi is often described as comparable to the O2 amp. Here's a thread where there is no clear consensus in the first page over which is better between the M-Stage and O2. I would assume that the same is true for the Modi. M-Stage=O2=Modi, and preference between the three is probably more likely due to individual listener tastes in the slight bit of different sound (and it would be slight) you might hear in each, with stress on "might."

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Also what's some really good cables for audio? I see a lot of 1-2 dollars cables, but i don't want to save a few dollars and destroy my SQ

I think it's hard to say for sure that a cable that costs a lot will make a noticeable difference.
I myself stick to low cost cables, I figured spending a few extra cents for Monoprice "Premium" cable is still cheaper then buy higher priced "regular" cables at a local store.
If you were spending thousands of dollars on audio, then it might make a little more sense to spend a lot for cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back