How to connect an headamp with variable out to active speakers?
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ld100

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to connect a HEADAMP to active speakers. Headamp is connected to an external RME ADI-2 DAC and has active RCA outputs. The RME DAC output can be fixed or variable and there are RCA and XLR outs. The problem that I am having is that HEADAMP does not have the disconnect/toggle switch for the always active outs and my active speakers do not have a volume control on the front. Volume control on HEADAMP is variable and connecting directly to my active speakers is not an option.

This is probably a common situation and I am wondering what is the best way to set it up so I can switch between the headphones and active speakers. I can probably use Shiit SYS between the DAC and active speaker... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 4
Connect RCA(or XLR depends what you prefer) outputs to speakers from DAC.
Use volume control on DAC.
When using speakers, turn off headphone amp.
When using headphones, turn off speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Connect RCA(or XLR depends what you prefer) outputs to speakers from DAC.
Use volume control on DAC.
When using speakers, turn off headphone amp.
When using headphones, turn off speakers.

Speakers have controls on the back. Trying to find an easy solution so I don't have to get up and every time I need to switch between headphones and speakers. Some kind of preamp. Shiit SYS would work but I am wondering what other solutions are out there...

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 4
If that is the case, yes a preamp would do. And a Schiit SYS is an inexpensive solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back