How to connect an amp to a home theater receiver and bypass the headphone jack?
Nov 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
My set up is as follows:

PS4/Wii/Comcast (hdmi) -> Denon AVR1910 (hdmi) -> Speakers

http://content.abt.com/documents/22323/avr1910_manual.pdf

Headphones: Denon 770 600 ohm and Grado SR325i
Amp: Little Dot Mkiii

I want to achieve a set up where i can hook up a headphone amp to the Denon AVR that allows me to bypass the headphone out jack. At the same time, I want it to be be as simple as possible so I don't have to disconnect/reconnect anything when I want to use my speakers. The last requirement, if possible, is to have surround sound output to the headphones like the headphone out jack provides

Or is it possible to buy a switch to put between the sources and the receiver?

Thanks
John

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 3
  My set up is as follows:
PS4/Wii/Comcast (hdmi) -> Denon AVR1910 (hdmi) -> Speakers
http://content.abt.com/documents/22323/avr1910_manual.pdf
Headphones: Denon 770 600 ohm and Grado SR325i
Amp: Little Dot Mkiii
I want to achieve a set up where i can hook up a headphone amp to the Denon AVR that allows me to bypass the headphone out jack. At the same time, I want it to be be as simple as possible so I don't have to disconnect/reconnect anything when I want to use my speakers. The last requirement, if possible, is to have surround sound output to the headphones like the headphone out jack provides
Or is it possible to buy a switch to put between the sources and the receiver?

I'm of the personal option that (most) modern A/V receivers may not come with full Dolby Headphone surround sound, but I'm not an expert in that field, so it's only my personal belief.
I'm guessing that if you hook  the headphones to some other output besides the receiver's headphone jack, you not going to be able to get any type of headphone surround sound out of the receiver.

I would say to get an Astro Mix-amp and connect it optical to the source, then plug the LD MKIII into the Astro's headphone jack and the headphones into the LD MKIII.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 3

I'm of the personal option that (most) modern A/V receivers may not come with full Dolby Headphone surround sound, but I'm not an expert in that field, so it's only my personal belief.
I'm guessing that if you hook  the headphones to some other output besides the receiver's headphone jack, you not going to be able to get any type of headphone surround sound out of the receiver.

I would say to get an Astro Mix-amp and connect it optical to the source, then plug the LD MKIII into the Astro's headphone jack and the headphones into the LD MKIII.

So you are suggesting connecting the Astro Mix amp to the source (Wii/PS4/Comcast) as needed. Is there a better surround sound dac than the Astro mixamp I could use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back