How to connect a Note 3 to portable amp?
Feb 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Armament

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I just bought a TTVJ portable headphone amplifier with built in DAC for $150. I have Audeze LCD-2 and Beyerdynamic T-1 headphones coming in within a few days. I plan to use the Beyerdynamic headphones for travel and the Audeze headphones for my home setup. Anyway, the seller gave me a FIIO cable that connects the amp to an iPod. I don't like to use my iPod much and would prefer to use my Note 3 instead. I know there is a cable that connects an amp to a Galaxy S4 but is there one for a Note 3?

EDIT: I'm fairly new to this sort of thing. Could I just connect the Note 3's input to the amplifier's input with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable? Not sure if that would use the amps DAC or the phone's?

EDIT2: After a bit of researching I guess the DAC built into the amplifier can only be used when using the micro usb port?

Here are pictures of the amp.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 17
  Hey guys. I just bought a TTVJ portable headphone amplifier with built in DAC for $150. I have Audeze LCD-2 and Beyerdynamic T-1 headphones coming in within a few days. I plan to use the Beyerdynamic headphones for travel and the Audeze headphones for my home setup. Anyway, the seller gave me a FIIO cable that connects the amp to an iPod. I don't like to use my iPod much and would prefer to use my Note 3 instead. I know there is a cable that connects an amp to a Galaxy S4 but is there one for a Note 3?

EDIT: I'm fairly new to this sort of thing. Could I just connect the Note 3's input to the amplifier's input with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable? Not sure if that would use the amps DAC or the phone's?

EDIT2: After a bit of researching I guess the DAC built into the amplifier can only be used when using the micro usb port?

Here are pictures of the amp.

In order to use the DAC in the amp you'll need to use a Note 3 OTG microUSB V3.0 to mini-b cable (not sure if these exist) or a Note 3 OTG MicroUSB V3.0 to standard type A (female) USB cable + standard Type A (male) to mini-b cable.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 17

In order to use the DAC in the amp you'll need to use a Note 3 OTG microUSB V3.0 to mini-b cable (not sure if these exist) or a Note 3 OTG MicroUSB V3.0 to standard type A (female) USB cable + standard Type A (male) to mini-b cable.

Thanks! Yeah I've been searching but no luck so far. That second option seems kind of bulky. Would it even work? The DAC on the Note 3 is probably good enough anyway. So I just use male to male 3.5mm to connect the amp to the phone?

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 17
  Thanks! Yeah I've been searching but no luck so far. That second option seems kind of bulky. Would it even work? The DAC on the Note 3 is probably good enough anyway. So I just use male to male 3.5mm to connect the amp to the phone?

Yep, 3.5mm to 3.5mm to use the DAC built into the Note 3.

Otherwise you can use something like this:

With something like this:

and it should work as long as the micro USB V3.0 cable is an OTG cable. These cables are readily available.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 17

Yep, 3.5mm to 3.5mm to use the DAC built into the Note 3.

Otherwise you can use something like this:

With something like this:

and it should work as long as the micro USB V3.0 cable is an OTG cable. These cables are readily available.

Thanks! I'll definitely get them just to compare the two DACs. I didn't want to connect any cables yet. In my mind my phone was going to explode upon connecting the amp. I am such a noob when it comes to audio things...for now.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Buy this cable from JDS Labs. I use it to connect my Note 3 to my JDS Labs C5D. To take advantage of your external DAC, either user USB Audio Player Pro (paid) or use Onkyo music player (free). Both are available from the play store.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 17
  Buy this cable from JDS Labs. I use it to connect my Note 3 to my JDS Labs C5D. To take advantage of your external DAC, either user USB Audio Player Pro (paid) or use Onkyo music player (free). Both are available from the play store.

USB Audio Player Pro is a great app to be sure.
However that cable won't work with the Note 3 because it's a micro-b to mini-b cable. The Note 3 has a micro USB V3.0 port, not a micro-b.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 17

USB Audio Player Pro is a great app to be sure.
However that cable won't work with the Note 3 because it's a micro-b to mini-b cable. The Note 3 has a micro USB V3.0 port, not a micro-b.

Trust me, that cable works. I have one (it comes with my JDS Labs C5D), and I use that cable to connect my Note 3 to the C5D, which I quite enjoy with my Alessandro MS2.
If you look closely at your Micro USB v3.0 cable that comes with your Galaxy Note 3 charger, you will see that a micro-b is actually the smaller half of the micro-usb v3.
I bet you never try to charge your Note 3 with an old Blackberry charger, do you? :D

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 17
  Trust me, that cable works. I have one (it comes with my JDS Labs C5D), and I use that cable to connect my Note 3 to the C5D, which I quite enjoy with my Alessandro MS2.
If you look closely at your Micro USB v3.0 cable that comes with your Galaxy Note 3 charger, you will see that a micro-b is actually the smaller half of the micro-usb v3.
I bet you never try to charge your Note 3 with an old Blackberry charger, do you? :D

I never realized that that was the case. Good to know! Thanks for clarifying. :)
I actually don't own a Note 3. I've only handled one briefly when a friend of mine got hers some time ago and that's when I noticed that it had a Micro USB V3.0 port. I always assumed that the port was entirely different.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 17

Thanks for that cable link man. I already ordered the one that aznpos531 said would work. I'll order the one you linked as well just in case.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 17
I've used my Note 3 with either the USB3 or USB2 OTG cable to connect to the following DACs:
  • FiiO E18
  • Schiit Modi 2 Uber
  • Schiit Bifrost Uber USB2

Some phones might need to go through a powered UDB Hub to get to either Schiit DAC, the Note 3 does not require it. I have a Verizon USA version of the phone.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 17
  I've used my Note 3 with either the USB3 or USB2 OTG cable to connect to the following DACs:
  • FiiO E18
  • Schiit Modi 2 Uber
  • Schiit Bifrost Uber USB2

Some phones might need to go through a powered UDB Hub to get to either Schiit DAC, the Note 3 does not require it. I have a Verizon USA version of the phone.

Yeah I have the Verizon USA one as well. Got it at release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back