How to connect 2 amps to a single DAC?
Jun 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Arjestin

Head-Fier
The DAC has 1 RCA output and 1 XLR output. The amps have only RCA inputs. I want to be able to connect headphones to both amps at the same time.

Which one is a better option:
A) Use an RCA splitter on the DAC RCA output.
B) Use 1 RCA cable and 1 XLR to RCA cable.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 4
RCA splitter is the way to go. Quick, cheap, and easy.

Passive RCA Splitters are indeed cheap, but they reduce signal strength each time they split the signal. Worse, I read that they can cause feedback between the 2 amps.

An Active RCA Splitter is the solution to these problems. However, to maintain signal strength, it relies on a low-quality amp, which adds noise.

The alternative is a good quality RCA switch like the Schiit SYS. Come to think of it, Schiit SYS is a passive component. It shouldn't reduce signal strength, because it doesn't split the signal, it only redirects it. But I want my DAC to output simultaneously to both amps, so this isn't an option for me.

I'm probably overthinking this. Will go with Passive RCA Splitters and hope that the reduction in signal strength won't be noticeable.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Passive RCA Splitters are indeed cheap, but they reduce signal strength each time they split the signal. Worse, I read that they can cause feedback between the 2 amps.

An Active RCA Splitter is the solution to these problems. However, to maintain signal strength, it relies on a low-quality amp, which adds noise.

The alternative is a good quality RCA switch like the Schiit SYS. Come to think of it, Schiit SYS is a passive component. It shouldn't reduce signal strength, because it doesn't split the signal, it only redirects it. But I want my DAC to output simultaneously to both amps, so this isn't an option for me.

I'm probably overthinking this. Will go with Passive RCA Splitters and hope that the reduction in signal strength won't be noticeable.

I've used passive splitters in the past with no ill affects to my ears. You'll be fine if you are just splitting once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back