How to connect 2.1 to Essence STX?
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Drake22

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've got mission e32 speakers that are connected to nad c320 stereo amplifier that goes into essence stx. I want to buy a sub (e3as) but how will i be able to connect it?

Thanks

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 13
If you just have a 2.0 amplifier, the the conenction method would depend on what the subwoofer has for inputs. If this sub only has just a dedicated subwoofer input you may have difficulty. Many newer subs have different type of input to allow connecting up to a stereo system. Can you get a pic of the I/O or download the manual and have a look? -That is where I would start.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Mission has such a terrible website. Can't get the specs on the subwoofer and link to get user manuals goes nowhere.

But yeah, I don't think you can connect the sub to the STX. What you want to to is connect it to your amp somehow. My receiver has two sub out so I was able to use one of them for my sub.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 13
With some subs they have high level inputs. This would allow the outputs of the stereo amplifier to be conencted to the subwoofer adn teh speaker to be connected to the sub.
however, if these inputs are not available then I am unsure how you would go about it.
I also looked for the manual and couldn't seem to find it. Long story short, you can use this subwoofer provided it has these inputs.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 13
I was able to find a picture of the back of the E3ASR. The sub has line level in and out. The sub does not appear to have any crossover setting whatsoever on it, which could be a big problem since your amp will not have any either.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you just have a 2.0 amplifier, the the conenction method would depend on what the subwoofer has for inputs. If this sub only has just a dedicated subwoofer input you may have difficulty. Many newer subs have different type of input to allow connecting up to a stereo system. Can you get a pic of the I/O or download the manual and have a look? -That is where I would start.

The Essence really can't do a 2.1 mode and output the bass on the sub output? The X-Fi cards couldn't do this in 2.1 mode, but you could put them in 5.1 mode and use the crossover and sub output on the card for two channel sources. Even my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 from about 5 years ago could do a proper 2.1 configuration with bass management.

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Essence ST.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 13
The Essence is a stereo card. If you have the ST, then I guess you could use the H6 card for the subwoofer output.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 13
thanks a lot guys.
I might just get the sub, and swap STX to ST.

But then I will have the speakers connected to the amplifier, but sub to the soundcard?

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Can the H6 module actually be bought right now? Might want to make sure before you get the ST.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 13
The are available with another product but not available currently as a stand alone product. They are supposed to be released for sure with the ST in the future.

To note, I am unsure if the ST wil do real 2.1 with stereo speakers and a dedicated subwoofer channel.
I am unsure if this would give you what you want or not.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 13
maybe i should look into different sub then?

or should i give up that idea? It's just my speakers frequency range is 62-30000hz and it's a bit lacking in subbass, but great speakers overall, so I thought I'd hook up a sub with them.

thanks a lot guys for your replies

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Well you definitely want a sub with a crossover dial for one. Most have one so it shouldn't be very hard. The other issue is to find a way to get it connect to your amp.. If possible at all. Does it seem to have any line out at all? Anything that gets the sound out without touching it would probably do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back