How to configure gapless playback options in Rockbox?
Jun 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JibJab

New Head-Fier
I have a 2nd gen iPod mini and 1st gen iPod nano. How do I configure the gapless playback options in Rockbox so that the gapless playback is identical (in terms of delay, duration etc.) to how it is on the 5G iPods and 2nd gen nano?

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Shouldn't it do it by default?

Did you try it out before you asked?

confused.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 10
Alright, I'll clarify what I mean. I don't think gapless is turned on by default in Rockbox. If I'm not mistaken, to enable gpaless playback, you have to enable "Crossfade" right? In Rockbox:

Main Rockbox Menu -> Settings -> General Settings -> Playback -> Crossfade ->

In the Crossfade menu there are a number of options. Firstly there is the option to enable crossfade, which i have turned on. Then there is Fade-In Delay, Fade-In Duration, Fade-Out Delay, Fade-Out Duration, Fade-Out mode. What do I set all these to in order to get the same gapless effect as there is on the newer iPods? With the default settings, it is a little weird becasue, as the last track fades out, I miss the start of the first track etc. it sounds different to wehn my friend's 2nd gen nano (running Apple OS) changes from one song to the next.

Maybe I am badly mistaken and Crossfade has got nothing to do with gapless? If so, how do I toggle gapless playback in Rockbox?

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Gapless on Rockbox is indeed default; if you don't notice it still, then it was how your songs were encoded.

Crossfade is the blending of the end of one song and the beginning of the next together so it is a rather funky track change "visual."

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I imagine you would have to leave crossfade turned off to achieve gaplessness. Crossfade will always fade out the end of one track while simultaneously fading in the following track. This actually prevents gapless playback.

Try leaving crossfade off and playing a gapless album.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 10
You have to rip gapless to play gapless. That is likely your problem. iTunes rips gapless tracks, as does EAC if configured properly.

FYI I am listening to perfect gapless playback on Rockbox and Crossfade is set to off.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Actually, as some people alluded to earlier, Rockbox always plays gapless. By this, I mean that it will play the songs exactly as they are. If the songs have silence at the end of the track, then Rockbox will play that silence. If the songs have no silence at the end of the track, then Rockbox will not insert one in there as many DAPs do. There is no option to turn this on or off, as this is the "correct" way of playing in our opinions. The one exception is with the Archos devices which you have to rip with -nogap in order for it to work.

Just wanted to come in with the final voice for this instead of the "I think" and "it should" answers above.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back