How to compare amplifiers
Feb 15, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JJ15k

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have two amps at the moment (just got the second one) and I would like to know if there were any tips when it comes to trying to compare them. I have a K1k and emu1212m, and while I can readily notice wheter I m hooked up to one or the other amp I m having trouble "categorizing" the difference.
Since I am trying to find out which is better so I can sell the other one I don t want to make a costly mistake and I m asking for your help
Thanks

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Get an RCA-Splitter so you can connect two amps to one source. Match the volumes and then you can easily A/B by switching headphone jacks.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a Niles Audio switch box that allows me to A/B 2 sources. You could rig up something similar. Volume matching is critical as louder almost always sounds better.

Personally I just listen to a whole track and then swap over, I might do this many many times with many different tracks.

It sounds like you have 2 very different amps and just dont know which one you prefer. Your critera for deciding which is better are pretty personal and you may end up preferring what on paper (or theoretically) is an inferior product or not well liked around here. We can bandy about terms like transparency, attack, PRAT, impact, extension and so on "Jusqu'à ce que les vaches rentrent" but it is your ears and brain and er wallet.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Hey, nice expression,seems strange i never heard it (the french is perfect though).

It is an English expression, strictly speaking the English is "Until the cows come home" um "jusqu'à ce que les vaches arrivent à la maison" may be better (or not)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
About the question any specific cues like cymbal decay, etc...??

There are 36000 or so members here, I can guarantee you will get many many different opinions on this. I cannot claim to be an expert listener so take this with a big pinch of salt.

If I am listening critically I listen to a track on source A and I notice something like Guitars or bass or cymbals or vocals, so I swap source and listen for those elements again. Does the bass seem heavier or lighter on one source, are the cymbals shriller or duller, do the vocals sound too much upfront or too far back. But in all honesty I mostly listen for an overall impression - sorry that does not help much.

You are not by any chance talking about the 2 amps in your public profile ?

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the enlightment
k1000smile.gif

No I m not talking about the amps in my profile ( i guess i have to edit it)>
I m comparing the OTL32 with a chinese speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back