How to clean Tips?
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Shpoon

New Head-Fier
Honestly, I've tried to keep them clean, I really have!

However, my Er6i tri-flangs are gross now...I gave them a rinse whenever I got home, kept my ears clean, but they still got gross...

They always came out of my ear just slightly waxy (as in, not a chunk, just like, you can "feel" an invisible layer on them), and I just wanted to try the bi-flangs and WOW, it's like a new white....now I just see the triflangs as yellow...

Any suggestions on how to clean the yellow away? Currently they're in their second soak of water + soap in a yogurt cup, doesn't seem to be doing anything...

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 19
Get some of these little alcohol injection swabs for cleaning the tips.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 19
Hydrogen Peroxide. Wax bubbles off and has the positive side-effect of bleaching them and preventing that yellow color that seems ot happen to some over time. I leave them soaking overnight, but they probably don't need that much time.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 19
I soak them in rubbing alcohol for 5-10 minutes and then agitate them a little to clean but peroxide might me the best to get rid of the discoloration. Peroxide is the key active ingriedient in all of those teeth whiteners.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 19
Wouldn't the alcohol "dry out" the tips? Sort of make them hard and weaker?

I'll give the peroxide a shot at least...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the alcohol "dry out" the tips? Sort of make them hard and weaker?

If it did, our universe would probably implode, because all the laws of physics would no longer apply.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it did, our universe would probably implode, because all the laws of physics would no longer apply.

Eh.. i thought that's what the westone dude said
Hmm or was it about customs

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 19
You could always spend $10 and buy a pack of five new pairs.

I personally washed my triflanges periodically, like once every two weeks. It kept them fairly clean. They did become a bit discolored over time, but I didn't really mind. And if they ever got "too gross," I would just switch out new tips and throw the old ones away.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

i think he ment afterwards when the alchol dried...

There we go...

And I was using dish soap did nothing...the peroxide seems to be working though...

@Mrvile: Ya, but then I have to pay for shipping, wait, etc. I don't like to buy new things if the old ones still work fine :/

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the bump, the peroxide did not work, they're yellow as ever!

Meh, just buy a new pack of tips man.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh.. i thought that's what the westone dude said
Hmm or was it about customs

I think I read somewhere in Westone's one-page manual that it is recommended to NOT use alcohol.

To OP: just use soap and water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back