how to chose an AMP depending on the headphone ?
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tiesto141141

Head-Fier
Hello, 

As i begin in head-fi, would someone explain me how to chose the correct desktop amp, tube or not etc, depending on the headphone kind / impedence, and what we search for in term of sound ?

thanks a lot..

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 13
It depends what you're looking for.  Accuracy isn't to hard to find but if you just want something that fits your tastes then all bets are off.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Sometimes, picking the right amp is a very inexact science.  Some amps pair well with headphones they shouldn't pair with on paper.  But, anyway....

I general, if your headphones are low impedance, you need lots of current.  Best amps are solid state or tube amps coupled with output transformers.  Sometimes hybrid tube amps work well.

If you have high impedance headphones, you need more voltage.  Look for output transformerless tube amps or solid state amps with good voltage swings.  Hybrid tube amps also work.

Once you get those things squared away, start looking for amps that are voiced to your liking.  Examples include, smooth, warm, cold, clinical, laid back, etc.

Quote:
Hello, 

As i begin in head-fi, would someone explain me how to chose the correct desktop amp, tube or not etc, depending on the headphone kind / impedence, and what we search for in term of sound ?

thanks a lot..

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Thank you for your answer ! i'll begin to learn how everything works as i am new to this, would you have some websites where i could find some beginners guide regarding amps, headfi in general, and also a guide to understand the "hifi" language as you mentionned (warm, cold, clinical etc), i'm reading chinese in this forum lol..

Thanks again :wink:

Quote:
Sometimes, picking the right amp is a very inexact science.  Some amps pair well with headphones they shouldn't pair with on paper.  But, anyway....

I general, if your headphones are low impedance, you need lots of current.  Best amps are solid state or tube amps coupled with output transformers.  Sometimes hybrid tube amps work well.

If you have high impedance headphones, you need more voltage.  Look for output transformerless tube amps or solid state amps with good voltage swings.  Hybrid tube amps also work.

Once you get those things squared away, start looking for amps that are voiced to your liking.  Examples include, smooth, warm, cold, clinical, laid back, etc.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 13
You're welcome!

I must have read this thread at least 100 times when I was just getting started.  Hope it may help you, too!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 13
[puts on flame suite]

A clean watt is a clean watt.

Buy whatever a reasonably priced solid state amplifier is for you that fits your power and form needs.

You won't be able to tell a difference between any decent solid state.

You can find your preferred sound signature through headphone selection.

Add equalization and DSP's to taste.

Avoid tubes unless you want to start with a fundamentally flawed presentation instead of arriving there through above methods.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 13
^  That would in fact be the cost effective way to do it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Erp, forgot to mention - I highly recommend looking in the FS section of this forum and picking up a used piece.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 13
I agree with some things you say, but not with others.

Yes, the best designed amps don't change the sound.  Amps shouldn't add to the sound, nor should they take away from it.  But....there are some colorization that people like that can only be offered through fundamentally different amps, and not by headphones alone.

For example, that wonderful tube glow can't be duplicated with solid state amps.  Can't be added by headphones, either.

Quote:
[puts on flame suite]

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 13
Thank you all for your answers ! all this is exciting :) and the describing sound is exactly what is was looking for thanks :)

I think, once my headphone chosen, i should buy a solid state amp instead of a tube one, first because i'm a beginner, and i don't think my ears are that sensible to really feel the difference when tube rolling, and second, with tube rolling i think i will spend too much money..... :p 

I need perhaps to build my own head-fi experience by experiencing new things, be curious, then i might be able to know exactly what i want in term of sound signature etc..

Thanks again !

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Welcome to head-fi!  Sorry about your wallet!  You will probably spend more money than you ever thought possible.  I've come a long way since my iPod ear buds!

Quote:
 i think i will spend too much money..... :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back