How to choose ear tip size for IEMs / canalphones?
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

-jinx-

New Head-Fier
Sorry for asking a very basic question, but I don't understand how tip size, seal, comfort, and security are all related.

At work, I use FiiO FH3s. At home, I often use AirPods Pro. Both headphones have soft silicone tips that come in a variety of sizes: small, medium, large. What I've noticed with both of them is that I often have to push the earphone part back into my ear to get a good seal because, over time, the earphones have worked their way somewhat out of my ear. I also notice that, over time, my ears get sore from needing to push them back in frequently.

Does this mean that I should be trying SMALLER tips, or LARGER tips?

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 5
It's not just the size but the material, shape, and design. Some tips have little ridges that help them stay in, some are slightly tacky, etc. You might also want to try foam.

I am by no means a tip expert (giggity) so wait for others to chime in.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey! I've actually had this exact issue before (I have very small ears). After I got new iems (decided to try Moondrop Chu), the spring tips fit slightly better in my ear just because they were a little grippier. I do not know what my previous tips/iems were... It was just a cheap pair of iems. Wrapping the cable around my ear also helped a lot (for a bit I just let the cable hang straight out of the iems without putting it over my ears). After that I had fewer issues with fit. I also found out that if you have to keep pushing it back in, the tips are likely, likely slightly too large, but I think material/shape of the tips would be more important.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry for asking a very basic question, but I don't understand how tip size, seal, comfort, and security are all related.

At work, I use FiiO FH3s. At home, I often use AirPods Pro. Both headphones have soft silicone tips that come in a variety of sizes: small, medium, large. What I've noticed with both of them is that I often have to push the earphone part back into my ear to get a good seal because, over time, the earphones have worked their way somewhat out of my ear. I also notice that, over time, my ears get sore from needing to push them back in frequently.

Does this mean that I should be trying SMALLER tips, or LARGER tips?
Use smaller tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back