How to choose custom iems?
Sep 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

brianlg

Head-Fier
Hello folks.

I have never owned/tested custom iems. I need advice on how to choose the right pair, since they can be fairly expensive.
I have been looking at Ultimate Ear models, Cosmic Ears, etc.

What brands are very highly regarded?
What are the best models out there?
What specs am I looking for?
How do I get fitted?

Some info about me : (please let me know what else I need to list in order for you to help recommend the perfect pair)
- I want for LISTENING. I do not perform (at least not yet). I do have equipment for making music, would there be a pair that would sound good listening for pleasure, and listening to what I am creating? IE mixing, etc.
- Genres : experimental, drone, ambient, dark electronic, dark techno, acoustic, noise, metal
- Budget : ~$500? Maybe a little more.
- Use : smart phone, computer, turntable/receiver, synth

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hello folks.

I have never owned/tested custom iems. I need advice on how to choose the right pair, since they can be fairly expensive.
I have been looking at Ultimate Ear models, Cosmic Ears, etc.

What brands are very highly regarded?
What are the best models out there?
What specs am I looking for?
How do I get fitted?

Some info about me : (please let me know what else I need to list in order for you to help recommend the perfect pair)
- I want for LISTENING. I do not perform (at least not yet). I do have equipment for making music, would there be a pair that would sound good listening for pleasure, and listening to what I am creating? IE mixing, etc.
- Genres : experimental, drone, ambient, dark electronic, dark techno, acoustic, noise, metal
- Budget : ~$500? Maybe a little more.
- Use : smart phone, computer, turntable/receiver, synth

Ok. Brands includes: UM, UE, Westone, Cosmic Ears, JH, and more.

Best model? 1964 Quad, V6? IDK. Cosmic Ears seems to be a great budget ciem.

Specs? Screw specs. Specs won't likely tell a thing. IMO, as long as they have more than 2 drivers, the extension issue is covered. Don't let fancy 6 driver iems fool you. I've heard dual drivers that outperforms triple drivers by a mile. It's mostly tuning that matter imo.

Fitted. An audiologist! That's just about only and the safest way. There are DIY kits, but I would not do them. Audiologist visit doesn't cost too much.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Cosmic Ears is by far the most affordable CIEM company - you can get a triple driver model for about $400 shipped. The house sound is smooth with somewhat subdued treble. For $700 though you could get a used high end model like JH13 and have it reshelled. Unfortunately many companies don't do reshells so you will have to go with a third party. UM is pretty good for reshells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back