How to choose between these little bookshelf speakers for a laptop ?
Mar 10, 2012 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ashanta

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm not listening metal, trance or house music.
I'm listening vocal and instrumental like didgeridoo, crystal bowls, meditative,new age and traditionnal world music.

I'm looking for to upgrade my laptop speakers with a budget less than 75$.

I'm hesitating between these little speakers, which ones will you choose considering my criterias :

Sony SS-B1000

M-Audio Studiophile AV 20

Behringer - MS16

Dayton Audio B652

MTX Monitor 5i

Polk Audio M10

Thanks in advance !

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm tempted to say the Dayton's. Reason being they have a biggest speaker cone size, dirt cheap and at under $75 the competition is close. Yes they all sound diff but at a low price point personally i prefer a bit more bass to help me forget about the accuracy of the speaker cos there aint

I wouldnt bother with the AV 20's. My bro has the AV 40's and says they are suprisingly good even in the bass dept but with only a 2 inch driver and 1 inch tweeter it's gonna be flat and boring esp listening to a didgeridoo. You ain't gonna feel any "Good vibrations" from your meditative music!

I'd narrow down to the
Behringer - MS16 - 4 inch woofer
Polk M10 - 4.5 Inch woofer (Looks by far the best)
Dayton Audio B652 - 6.5 inch woofer - Hell yeah. Most speaker for your money and thats the thing you've gotta do at a low price. I reckon if you go with one of the others you're gonna miss the bass impact.Play with how close (and far) to the wall you keep them to perfect the bass levels to your liking. BUT you aint got a speaker amp, so you cant have them!
MTX - 5.25 inch speaker

I think you missed a VERY IMPORTANT POINT: You dont say that you have an amplifier to power some of your choices. For that reason, your only choice is the active (or powered speakers) which are Behringer - MS16 or M Audio AV20's. Unless you get a speaker amp then your world opens up and personally i would look for a used pair of bookshelves and a cheap amp.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Unfortunately, Polk M10 model is too hard to find in Europe. I've been looking for with google and I didn't any website which deliver to Europe.

Dayton Audio B652 speaker seems to be a little  big in size for me.

Any others bookshelf speakers alternatives ?

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Where about are you from? 75$ is America but you say Europe. What country and what budget in your local country?
You're gonna need something a bit bassy personally for that kind of music as opposed to accurate because it has to be immersive.
I would say screw the idea of bookshelves and an amplifier as it's gonna cost you >£75 (£25 for your amp + £50 for speakers) and if its too big get a 2.1 system with smaller woofers and a dedicated sub i.e. more PC orientated system with all the inputs you need.

I'd say get these:  http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk
Speakers £40 + 35 for an amp because you do need to do your speakers justice with a better amp or you're not really gonna do them justice and they will sound ****, you dont have stands (not a neccessity as I have mine on a massive desk secured with Blu tac to stop any unwanted vibrations) and havent mentioned space requirements.

Alternatively (and seriously consider):
Altec Lansing MX5021 - Heard it and its great. Sub is a bit big but you can stuff it under a desk/in a corner. Very good sound + Bass and treble controls so you can adapt to your "sound" but they are hard to find now.
Edifier x600
Edifier E3300.
Why? Because they are cheap, have a decent sound and have a sub as a separate unit.
I've heard a lot of 2.1 systems from logitech n creative. The Altec I suggested to a cuz who is a DJ (originally he got some Audica 2.1s but they were too flat and boring). The altec smoked them in most ways and had a more complete sound and is why they'd be my 1st choice. Theyre better than the Creative TD7900's I have. That 2.1 is miles ahead of my creative 2.1 (if i exclude the other 5 speakers) particularly in bass. Comparatively no boomyness and its smooth.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, I'm living in Europe, France. My budget is about 65 euros.

Unfortunately, all the 2.1 speakers you told me, costs more than 100 euros.

I prefer abookshelf with an external amplifier.

I'm very interestied in

Polk M10 - but almost impossible to get this model in Europe.

Behringer - MS16 - 2.0 speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back