How to check if a flac file is real?
Mar 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've ripped it yourself surely you'd know if it was from the original CD?
cough cough downloading flac's?

I've downloaded FLACs before. For example, my "Come With Us" CD by The Crystal Method is all scratched up because it was put in one of those cheap leather cases by someone who didn't realize it was mine. Rather than dealing with bad rips, I thought I might as well download it and then hash it to accurate rip to see if it's valid...

Never did find out how to compare a single thing to accuraterip though,
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
legally download flacs?! where!?

His name is Trent Reznor. Memorize it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 40
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #21 of 40
I wonder how does difference websites rip Flac files. What if they actually make additional changes to the music. I own a CD with certain songs and I bought a Flac cd from boomkat.com that has some of the same song. The flac's sound waves was more compressed, it has eq'ing on the bass and high end. I wonder if it's just different mastering on two cds or bookmat.com did something to original music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His name is Trent Reznor. Memorize it
smily_headphones1.gif

no

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 40
How do you use aucdtect to check if the file is real? I tried opening the wav file with it and a window opened and it showed a percent counting up to 100 but then it just closed.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you use aucdtect to check if the file is real? I tried opening the wav file with it and a window opened and it showed a percent counting up to 100 but then it just closed.

Open Terminal or Command Prompt (depending on OS), then launch aucdtect by changing working directory to its location and typing "./aucdtect" + Enter (or similar).

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no

You might not like his music but he gives it away for free. The poster was asking where can one get legal FLAC files. NIN's website is one way. HDTracks is another. There are plenty of spots. www.archive.org is a WONDERFUL spot to get plenty of free FLAC files or other lossless formats from live concerts (right from the sound board) or from recorded albums folks want in the public domain.

So fine, don't memorize his name. Don't download the free music, but you can't deny it is there for the taking for free. You also haven't given a suggestion where to find free legal FLAC files (or other lossless files) so
tongue.gif
to you!

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #26 of 40
If you get a piece of software that has an in-built frequency spectrogram (I have Soundtrack Pro and iZotope RX on a mac), it's quite easy to tell. You can get a nice, high-quality piece of audio from a CD and what you'll see are very thinly textured frequency details, all the way to 20k, and if there is a roll-off in the highs, it's usually soft. On an MP3, it looks like "blobs" of frequencies, and the high-end will either be brutally hacked off, or you'll see high frequency peaks only on percussive hits. It's actually a great way to see exactly what mp3 encoding does, and I actually deeply respect the original programmers in pulling it off.

May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #27 of 40
A foobar plugins based on auCDtect is available here.

Much easier to use than with the command line, and works directly on all integrated file formats via Foobar's decoder.

May 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #28 of 40
You can get FLAC here. HDTracks offers 96Hz/24bit recordings by audiophile labels like Chesky at $16 a pop, and if you're listening from a computer>DAC>Amp, you will be blown away - the only problem being that "ordinary" cd's will sound limited forever afterwards.

As for the original question: in my opinion, if you can't tell whether a FLAC file is original or converted MP3 just by listening to it, then you don't need to worry about it in the first place. Sorry to be so blunt, but think about it... it's true, isn't it?

May 31, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by holyharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the original question: in my opinion, if you can't tell whether a FLAC file is original or converted MP3 just by listening to it, then you don't need to worry about it in the first place. Sorry to be so blunt, but think about it... it's true, isn't it?

Not if you paid for true lossless, but got some interim lossy encoded files...

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"In my opinion, if you can't tell whether a FLAC file is original or converted MP3 just by listening to it, then you don't need to worry about it in the first place."
Not if you paid for true lossless, but got some interim lossy encoded files...

Yes of course, from the point of view of being ripped off. Nobody wants that.

What I mean is, if you can't tell the difference between the actual soundof a full-on FLAC file and, for argument's sake, a 192Kb MP3 of the same recording, then what's the point of paying extra for FLAC, because as far as your ears are concerned, there's no discernible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back