How To Buy Senn IE8 Replacement Tips?
Feb 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so when you buy the IE8, it comes with several sets of tips or what Sennheiser calls "adapters." I don't have the package with me, but I seem to recall it comes with 8 to 10 different combinations of sizes and tips.

So after experimenting for some time, I think I've finally settled on the large foam tips, and I want to buy some replacement tips in that size. But if you look on the Sennheiser USA website, it only lists one part number for tips or "adapters" for the IE8 (#517682), and the description is for 4 x small, 4 x medium, and 4 x large ear adapters. Note that it doesn't tell you which adapters or tips these are, but since the foams only come in large and small (as I recall from the manual) presumably these are not the foam tips. (I would guess these are either the silicone single flange or double flange tips.)

The other thing that is kind of odd is that, even if you want the particular tip that is represented by this part number, presumably you would want either a small OR a medium OR a large. Why you would want to buy a small tip if the large one is the only one that fits you is beyond me, but perhaps there is something I'm missing.
confused_face(1).gif

In any event, this presents somewhat of a quandry for anyone who wants to buy extra tips for the IE8. I mean the last thing you want is to be a vacation and you lose the one set of tips that fits you. Or what if it just gets old and you want to replace them? In would seem to me that the logic of supplying the IE8 with multiple tips and sizes is that you find the one that works for you. If you find one that works, should you not be able to order, let's say, five (5) more pair of that tip only?

I've got two calls into Sennheiser about this, and the the CSR I spoke to today promised to look into the matter and get back to me. (Another CSR I spoke to last week promised to get back to me and I never received a return call.)

I will report back on what I learn for future reference by other IE8 users. But it just seems strange that there would not be an easy way to order one type of replacement tip for an IEM of this caliber, especially given the provision of multiple tips in the initial packaging.

Thoughts?

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 16
These are the part numbers for each tip type:

Ear adapter "S", 5 pairs525783
Ear adapter "M", 5 pairs525784
Ear adapter "L", 5 pairs525785
Ear adapter "S", 50 pairs525724
Ear adapter "M", 50 pairs 525725
Ear adapter "L", 50 pairs 525726
Foam ear adapter "S", 5 pairs525727
Foam ear adapter "L", 5 Pairs525728
Lamella ear adapter "S", 5 pairs525738
Lamella ear adapter "M", 5 pairs525739
Lamella ear adapter "L", 5 pairs525740
Ear adapter double mold "S", 5 pairs525729
Ear adapter double mold "L", 5 pairs525730

No idea of the cost or availability.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 16
Comply also sales IE8 tips I think...the t400s~

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comply also sales IE8 tips I think...the t400s~

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE tips fit them too

Understood. But I don't want those tips. This thread is specifically about ordering the tips that Sennheiser makes for the IE8.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 16
walkingman, where did you get those part numbers from, if I may ask? I tried putting part no. 525728 (which appears to be the one I want) in the search function in the Senn USA website and it won't return anything. The CSR had the same problem with another part no. that she thought might be relevant.

I wonder if this is a Sennheiser USA problem?

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Well, the second CSR did not call me back either as promised. I'll call tomorrow again and try providing the part no. to see if that helps.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, I never did get a call back from Sennheiser (that's two promised call backs they didn't follow up on, but whatever), so I called them for a third time today. Funny thing is, I got the same CSR I spoke to the other day who didn't call me back.

Anyway, I gave her the part number from the link that walkingman supplied above, and she was able to pull it up. She also noted, however, that it did not have a price, so she had to go talk to someone about that, and then she came back with a price and took my order with a credit card.

It cost me $12.02 for 5 pairs of the large foamies, plust $6.50 for shipping, plus tax for California, for a total of $19.45. This is not too bad I guess, when you figure 5 pairs of Comply's cost $20.00 before shipping.

Supposedly they are going to ship tomorrow from Illinois and I should have them in four days. I'm hopeful, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 16
That is good news. I am still hoping they start selling them on their website, or even retail. If Sony can do it, I am sure Sennheiser can.

In the mean time I am going to wait for Sony to start selling EX700 replacement tips here. I want to try the ML tips.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 16
I received the package of the large foam tips last night, just as I ordered. They were packaged in a retail type package, which is good news, I guess. It would tend to indicate that their tips are going to be readily available at some point, perhaps even on a retail basis somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back