How to Burn and SACD to ISO. or other formats
Feb 2, 2017 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bykhoff

Head-Fier
Hi,

I just purchased two hybrid SACD discs only to find out that my Apple USB Superdrive won't read them. Is there an affordable way for me to burn those SACD discs? Equipment advice?

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hi,

I just purchased two hybrid SACD discs only to find out that my Apple USB Superdrive won't read them. Is there an affordable way for me to burn those SACD discs? Equipment advice?

Thanks.

First, I assume you mean ripping, not burning.*  Second, I assume you are referring to the SACD layer.  Most CD drives can rip the redbook layer of a hybrid.  Third, for the record, I rip my SACDs to allow me to stream them and for archiving.

SACD uses a fairly effective encryption system to prevent ripping.  In the past the only way to circumvent this was with a specially configured (i.e. hacked) PS3.  Only certain early models worked for that purpose, and they became valuable commodities.  That is what I used.

Last year some enterprising souls found an alternative method.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/ **

So now the trick is to get access to an SACD player with the appropriate chip and go at it.

*  If you do mean burn in the sense that you want to end up with discs, there used to be some SACD players that will read unencrypted SACDs (isos).  Maybe there still are.  Somewhere on the web there is a listing.  But you still need to go through this ripping process to get the iso.

** Scroll through the thread.  As I recall the procedure described on the first page was subsequently simplified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back