How to become a "Headphoneus Sumpremus" in no time!
Jan 14, 2015 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aero Dynamik

1000+ Head-Fier
I believe new Head-Fi'ers in general would be more willing to trust a "Headphoneus Supremus" than a "Junior Head-Fi'er". I know I did for far too long. The problem with these titles is that they are misleading and give an impression that a member is probably knowledgeable, or the opposite. In reality, all these titles indicate is how many posts a member have written, but nothing about the quality of the content or the number of words used. So, to any new Head-Fi'er my recommendation is to completely ignore these titles.

There are members who reach the level of "Headphoneus Supremus" in days (or a few weeks) simply by writing tons of posts with a single word or short sentence. It reminds of a person listening to a speech and every once in a while nodding his head in reply where each nod is a post. Hear is an example (please, nothing personal, I could have chosen anyone of very (too) many)!

To make sure no one is mislead by these misleading titles I feel Head-Fi would become a better place without them. Can't this title system be scrapped? Or, why not start counting words instead of posts? At least that would indicate some level of contribution to Head-Fi.

Well, JM2C, and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, member or Head-Fi! Thanks!

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I became a Headphoneus Supremus back when I posted in the anime thread (ironically the most popular thread on Head-Fi), but I did and do post in countless other threads. Some of my posts are quite long too.

That being said, I do agree that the title can be misleading. Same can be said for the Contributor badge. Some of them were people who contributed money to the site when it was first starting out, while others are newer members who earned it in a more interesting way, by contributing valuable content to the community. (I would love to be among those chosen few someday!)

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 9
I for one, can't say I've ever paid them any mind. Good advice is good advice, regardless of post count or the little title under your name.

That's coming from a newbie. 
smile.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Do you really think that this forum will be better without any sort of hierarchy / classification of the members ? I think that this system gets ppl more involved and if that's the Anime thread than so be it .
Try and judge ppl by what they are actually saying and not by some meaningless title. And btw it will always be easy to go and check their profiles for posts or their actual systems.
Or maybe the number of "thank you" should be counted instead of posts....

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 9
  Do you really think that this forum will be better without any sort of hierarchy / classification of the members ? I think that this system gets ppl more involved and if that's the Anime thread than so be it .
Try and judge ppl by what they are actually saying and not by some meaningless title. And btw it will always be easy to go and check their profiles for posts or their actual systems.
Or maybe the number of "thank you" should be counted instead of posts....

Yes, I do!

Yes, that's the advice I'm giving in my 1st post.

No, I say; scrap any and all kinds of hierarchy / classification of the members.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 9
removing it wouldnt be much good, imho either change requirement to time + posts, for example 2 years + x posts or make "Headphoneus Sumpremus"  manually added title as a reward for ppl who are helpul and posting valuable information, or exclude "off-topic" forum sections from the count

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 9
  I believe new Head-Fi'ers in general would be more willing to trust a "Headphoneus Supremus" than a "Junior Head-Fi'er". I know I did for far too long. The problem with these titles is that they are misleading and give an impression that a member is probably knowledgeable, or the opposite. In reality, all these titles indicate is how many posts a member have written, but nothing about the quality of the content or the number of words used. So, to any new Head-Fi'er my recommendation is to completely ignore these titles.

There are members who reach the level of "Headphoneus Supremus" in days (or a few weeks) simply by writing tons of posts with a single word or short sentence. It reminds of a person listening to a speech and every once in a while nodding his head in reply where each nod is a post. Hear is an example (please, nothing personal, I could have chosen anyone of very (too) many)!

To make sure no one is mislead by these misleading titles I feel Head-Fi would become a better place without them. Can't this title system be scrapped? Or, why not start counting words instead of posts? At least that would indicate some level of contribution to Head-Fi.

Well, JM2C, and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, member or Head-Fi! Thanks!

Why even pay attention to those "titles" at all? They're just an indicator of how much time you spend hanging out here based on post count. That's like voting for a legislator based on how many times he used his privilege to speak at the Senate floor, or who ever did the longest filibuster because obviously if you believe strongly that racism is a valid belief you should speak about random clutter and pee into a bucket for it. The creative titles aren't really meant to be taken seriously, but every forum has a thematic way of saying "King of Air" or "Emperor of Arkham Asylum" - that's kind of how everything is in forums, or so I thought because apparently some do take them seriously. I'm a member of a photography forum that uses snack foods as ranks; I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere out there is a forum using Marine Drill Sergeant ranks for recruits, like Turd and Maggot.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Probably a better indicator is the Join Date, or at least one could combine the two as a total weighting? 
wink.gif
  There are some extremely experienced individuals around here that go back 10+ years and yet may only have a few hundred posts.

I agree that either one is not much of an indicator.

Lately, I've been frustrated with Head-Fi's entire post count threshold and policy.  I've seen posts in this section that were legitimate DIY issues and had no business being posted and responded to in this section, save for the post count restrictions of a new member.  It's turning this beginners section into an entirely separate, catch-all Head-Fi forum, sort of perverting the original basis for its creation, IMHO.  I don't make the rules around here, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back