How to attach a microphone to your headphones to make them into a headset for gaming on the PS3
Mar 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to buy a headset for playing multi player games on the PS3.
I primarily play Battlefield 3. I was thinking about buying the Mixamp and the Sennheiser PC360,
but those 2 are kind of expensive and I didn't want to spend that kind of money to get a headset.
The alternative solution would be to buy a cheaper headset like the ones made by Turtle Beach, but I am
not sure if the sound quality is that great on those type of headsets.

I already have the Sennheiser HD600 and I think these headphones sound great for gaming.
I did some searching on the internet and I was surprised to see that there is no easy way to add a microphone to your headphones
to convert them to a headset.

So this is my budget solution. So far I think it works great and I am not limited to using only the HD600 headphones. I can do this
with any audiophile grade headphone or cheap ones.

First I bought the Zalman microphone = $8
Then the Syba USB sound adapter = $8
Tubing from the hardware store = $3
Hanging clips from the hardware store = $3

Total cost $22 dollars to add a microphone to my headphones.

One thing to note, the Syba USB sound adapter has a headphone and microphone input,
but I found that the headphone input does not work on the PS3. I had to plug my headphones into
the headphone input on my TV or I can plug it into the headphone input on my receiver.

Finished Product

Also, I had to change the assessory setting on my PS3.
I changed the default setting of 3 to a 4.
I changed the input setting to "Generic Audio Input Device"
I didn't change the output setting.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 7

kalbee

Headphoneus Supremus
Haha, nice! I did this on my laptop before, without the USB sound adapter.
I use an old desktop microphone, removed it from the base stand, and blue tack'd to my headphones. Got the idea from LFF :p
Great to know it will work with PS3 with a sound adapter!

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 7

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
So, does changing the "Output Device" allow the HO to work on the USB adapter? My guess would be that the mic wouldn't work simultaneously, but I want the headphones more. You should try and let me know, because I would like to do this. Because with the way I have mine setup I would have to change a lot of stuff around every time I wanted to use headphones. And my TV doesn't have a HO, just an optical.

I wonder, also, if you could use headphones and a bluetooth headset as a mic at the same time by changing input and output.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 7

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
Nope, I couldn't get the headphones to work though USB sound adapter.

As least not on the PS3. I tried changing the output device to different settings, still didn't work.

Finally, I just plugged the headphones into the TV and it worked fine, I could hear the sound from the game and chat.

I think the PS3 was designed to use a bluetooth headset, and I think it will work.

I thought of going that route, but I wanted to use the HD600 because it probably sounds better.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 7

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
That is awesome, I searched for something like this. Couldn't find it.

With the modmic, I think you will still need to buy the USB sound adapter.

I spent so much time thinking about how to attach the microphone, the best I could come up with was going to the hardware store.

And the price is very reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread