How to adjust volume on "bitperfect" in Foobar?
Oct 31, 2006 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GASTAN

100+ Head-Fier
When I tick bitperfect on Creative Audio Console I cannot control volume anymore (nor Foobtars, nor windows, nor notebooks)

I've read there should be a plugin to Foobar to achieve simple volume control by bitshifting, but I cannot seem to find one. Does anybody have some more clues?

I wrote "bitperfect" in Title, cause I was told there is no way to make bitperfect with Audigy (as it always upsamples). Neverthless I am not getting any upsampling artifacts on udial.wav test.

thx

--G

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 21
nm
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 21
If you are using the digital output you can't adjust volume from the computer and have bit-perfect. If you lower the volume it decreases the bit depth.

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 21
Volume control with a "bit-perfect" system would be happening at the AMP. The digital stream goes straight out to the DAC (bit perfect...), which sends the analog signal to the AMP (granted some DACs have a volume control as well)

If you are not sending your "bit perfect" signal via a digital out (USB, coax or optical) to a DAC/AMP, then you are not doing it right.

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 21
Someone please explain to me then, how on earth am I able to alter the main volume in foobar. As my sig says I'm using the Optical-out of my Juli@ to feed my MicroDAC and as in the picture foobar is using KS out.

All PC audio is turned off when playing music.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Well, I guess master volume simply divides the 16-bit value of the PCM bits by a factor, so that's why the dB reading in the status bar. Yes, you're losing dynamic range, but there's no way around that.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 21
I was thinking like:
you have 16bis of music in 24 or 32bit frame.
I suppose it does matter (for volume) wheter you 16bits are aligned left or right, right ?
So this aligning is kind of volume control, right ?

I am using optical out from Audigy 2 ZS notebook into DA7.2x
It has volume control, but only for headhone out. I'd like to attach some active monitors via XLR outputs, whose do not have any volume control
frown.gif

--G

Nov 1, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ergo
I have Revolution 7.1 connected to external DAC via spdif and in foobar I simply enable Volume controller DSP, i never get to 0dB because i get a peak.
So if i want it loud it's like -25dB

gastan you need a monitor controller or something more expensive like this:
http://www.presonus.com/centralstation.html

no need for expensive solutions,
problem is, Idont have that volume control DSP !!!
it does not show in DSP list

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
no need for expensive solutions,
problem is, Idont have that volume control DSP !!!
it does not show in DSP list

Bitperfect means sending to a D-to-A converter EXACTLY the bit stream that is encoded on a CD-ROM. That implies no re-sampling and no digital processing of any kind, including a volume control.

If you can control the volume from your PC, then it's not doing bitperfect output.

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 21
Sigh some people.

If your sound card outputs 24 bit spdif then you can use up to -30dB of volume while maintaining the original 16 bits. After that you lose them in the noise floor or downright bit depth.

Anyone who says different doesn't understand what bit perfect means at a data level. Also do the volume reduction at the card if you can to avoid KMixer. I.e. on Emu cards use a trim pot.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Sigh some people.

If your sound card outputs 24 bit spdif then you can use up to -30dB of volume while maintaining the original 16 bits. After that you lose them in the noise floor or downright bit depth.

Anyone who says different doesn't understand what bit perfect means at a data level. Also do the volume reduction at the card if you can to avoid KMixer. I.e. on Emu cards use a trim pot.

What soundcard can output 24/44.1 ? Most I have seen upsample to 24/96 which is not bit perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back