How to add subwoofer to audioengine A2?
Apr 7, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 26
So I have the Auzentech Bravura setup with the A2 and polkaudio psw111 sub connected to through the a2's rca input. I was wondering if i would get better bass on the psw111 if I swapped out the opamps on the Bravura and connected the sub to the sound card via a y-adapter?

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also change out the Bravuras Bass opamp to produce a better bass response.

Yep that's exactly what i'm going to do!
smily_headphones1.gif
converting 3.5mm to rca isn't going to degrade the sound quality right?

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've connected my Nuforce W-1 subwoofer with a 3,5 mm cable to the A2. I can confirm that it works very good
smily_headphones1.gif

I am planning to buy W-1 but i want to know how is then volume controlled?
I am not sure how to setup this because i dont use software volume control and i am changing volume with A2 volume control (potenciometer).
So if i change volume on A2 will this change volume also on W-1 or not? Probably not?

And i dont want to set things up everytime i turn on my speakers...

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...So if i change volume on A2 will this change volume also on W-1 or not? Probably not?

I wont
frown.gif
It was a PITA untill I got my NuForce Icon HDP to use as a pre-amp. I've connected the HDP to the W-1 line in, and the A2 to the W-1 line out. Works great
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 26
Here is an amazing deal from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

only 57 bucks!! 

and the review of them is really good check it out..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20118768-47/monoprice-subwoofers-how-low-can-they-go/?tag=mncol;txt

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 26
This is a very old post I realize, but maybe someone can still answer it? I like the idea of using Airplay in this way with the subwoofer, but then how do you control the signal so that the low frequencies don't go to the satellites? I assumed that was why you'd be using the software package, but I don't see how it offers the ability to separately control the EQ for the satellites vs the sub. I'm thinking that I really just have to go buy a small high-pass filter or external crossover to hook up a third-party sub with my A2's if I don't want the low frequencies going to the A2's.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
I like the idea of using Airplay in this way with the subwoofer, but then how do you control the signal so that the low frequencies don't go to the satellites?

I don't know much about AirPlay, but aside from urmev's post, the subs usually have more than a plain LFE input - which is basically just an input for anything an A/V receiver gives it, basically the ".1" track on the surround sound programming. That is, some have an analog crossover in there and most (but not all) don't just have a low pass filter for the sub's amp, but also a high-pass filter for the output. If the sub can do that, then you're good to go.

Quote:
I assumed that was why you'd be using the software package, but I don't see how it offers the ability to separately control the EQ for the satellites vs the sub.

When your system is set-up as described above, you don't need separate EQ profiles for the satellites and the sub. Since you have a high pass filter at, say, 150hz at a 12db/octave slope, boosting or cutting frequencies below a certain frequency* will not affect the satellite; at the same time, boosting 50hz won't affect the satellites as long as there's a high pas filter involved.

*ie, it doesn't just literally "cut" at 150hz like a ginsu knife cutting up a tenderloin into steaks and there's nothing below 150hz, it gradually "slopes" down to zero from there and the steepness is determined by the slope setting

Quote:
I'm thinking that I really just have to go buy a small high-pass filter or external crossover to hook up a third-party sub with my A2's if I don't want the low frequencies going to the A2's.

If you can get a 12v power supply to hook it up, you can get a nice enough analog crossover originally meant for cars. Get an old Audio Control or one of those popular 1990s Coustic crossovers. The advantage of this over a built-in, single frequency HPF+LPF built into subs is that you can set the HPF and LPF at different crossover points to smoothen out the response, minimizing overlaps, if the bass get a bit muddy. I've been using a built-in digital crossover in my car for a decade or so, but throughout all the years I've had a set-up of any sort in there I always leave a gap otherwise the bass is too strong. Acoustics in my car add to that but doesn't mean it won't ever be an issue in a home audio set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back