How to add subwoofer to audioengine A2?
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

herbiehancock00

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the audioengine A2. Sounds awesome but is definitely missing on the lower frequency area. I'm planning on adding a powered sub to the combo but am not sure how that can be connected as, unlike the A5, the A2 does not have a sub-out.

I was thinking of getting the Audioengine S8 sub as it has a line in and RCA input so I can connect from 1/8 to the sub and then out from the sub to the A2. However, the S8 is pretty pricey at $399.

Also, any recommendation for a cheap, powered sub between $200-300?

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 26
I was agonizing about this as well... if you check out the website, the manual states that you can feed the signal from the subwoofer to the a2s...

of course, that all depends on the subwoofer you have, and whether you have the right outputs on it.

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 26
I have the A2s connected to my Computer. The sub is connected to an airport express. I use Hear 1.0.3 from joesoft to remove the lower frequencies from the signal sent to the A2s. (from 90Hz)
This setup only works in iTunes, but it is making some seriously sweet sound...

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 26
I asked Audioengine the same question last year and this was the answer.

Quote:

Hi,

Most subs have outputs to the speakers from the sub.

If not, a little known "feature" of the A2 is that you can use one of the inputs as an "output". Just plug your unused "input" from the A2 into the input of your sub.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

So there you go!

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was news to me! Thanx for sharing the info
normal_smile .gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 26
im using the AS8 sub with the A2s and Audioengine told that the sub doesn't crossover the lower frequencies.
As such, the A2s will still run at fullrange no matter what I set at the sub's crossover.
This is causing distortion on low frequencies at high volumes (my A2 volume knob is at 12o'clock).

Do you guys think I should go towards the A5s? I listen mostly to electronic genres.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 26
What sound card do you use? Have you checked your sound card settings for crossover settings? I have the Asus Xonar and in it's setup up panel you can specify a crossover point. I don't have a subwoofer (yet) so I can't try it myself.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card do you use? Have you checked your sound card settings for crossover settings? I have the Asus Xonar and in it's setup up panel you can specify a crossover point. I don't have a subwoofer (yet) so I can't try it myself.

I'm running a Xonar Essence, currently at 1o'clock for volume.
It does have that flex bass feature but i do not know how to make it work since the RCA outputs are going to the sub, then sub goes to the speakers.

I tried playing with the settings by setting L/R speakers as 'Small' but then no bass will come out of the sub.

I think this Flexbass feature is only applicable to SPDIF setups.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 26
I don't think that the Flexbass setting only affect SPDIF out. As stated a bit higher up in this thread - you can connect the subwoofer to the RCA inputs on the A2's. Perhaps that would make a difference? Try to connect:

Essence RCA out -> A2 -> subwoofer

and play with the Flexbass settings. Please let me know if it made any difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 26
Hmm thats something that i havent tried.
But im thinking that it might slow down the bass notes travelling to the sub resulting in phase problems?
Anyway i'll give it a shot n check back again. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by delancyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm thats something that i havent tried.
But im thinking that it might slow down the bass notes travelling to the sub resulting in phase problems?
Anyway i'll give it a shot n check back again. Thanks!

Ok, it does not seem to make any difference with this setup.
i set flexbass as small spk with a crossover as 50hz.
Played a 40hz tone and the kevlar drivers are still vibrating along with the sub.

Edit: i realised that setting Flexbass affects my headphone output as well.
Edit2: I seem to have found a good setting without resorting to eq-ing.
Set crossover on both Flexbass and sub to 80hz. For those with similar setup,
you'll still need to turn off Flexbass if you're on headphones tho.

May 4, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioEngine
Hi,

Most subs have outputs to the speakers from the sub.

If not, a little known "feature" of the A2 is that you can use one of the inputs as an "output". Just plug your unused "input" from the A2 into the input of your sub.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

So there you go!

This is pretty valuable info, if true. Has anyone actually done this and got it working?

May 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 26
I've connected my Nuforce W-1 subwoofer with a 3,5 mm cable to the A2. I can confirm that it works very good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back