How to add remote volume control to Stax energiser
Jan 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few listening seatd in my room (at my PC, armchair and settee), unfortunately a couple of them beyond arm's reach of the volume control on my Stax energiser. Not normally a problem, except since I use my PC as source with playlists and queued songs, there are varying volume levels. I was wondering, is there any way to add remote volume control to the Stax energiser?

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99
I have a few listening seatd in my room (at my PC, armchair and settee), unfortunately a couple of them beyond arm's reach of the volume control on my Stax energiser. Not normally a problem, except since I use my PC as source with playlists and queued songs, there are varying volume levels. I was wondering, is there any way to add remote volume control to the Stax energiser?

Is your energizer attached to a power amp or receiver? You could always just control it via the receiver's remote control, for instance. Otherwise, you'd have to dig into the DIY world to add a remote attenuator, which is pricey.

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 10
You can only use the volume control of another piece of equipment if you have the SRM-717 amp, as that has a switch inside to tell the amp that you are bypassing its volume control. It cannot be done with the 007t. That is one reason why some people opt for the 717.

Simon

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 10
A friend of mine bought an el cheapo remote control car, took off the outer casing and removed three wheels, leving just one wheel that's attached to the motor on. He then placed the remote control car on top of the shelf next to the headphone amp, using bluetak to keep it in place. The remote control car is half-haning in the air, so the only wheel left on the car is hanging in the air. He then placed a long O-ring over the wheel and also the volume knob, making sure there's just enough tension in the O-ring. Now he uses the remote cotrol for the toy car to adjust volume. I think the whole "project" was less than $10. Just make sure you find one with quiet motor.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
A friend of mine bought an el cheapo remote control car, took off the outer casing and removed three wheels, leving just one wheel that's attached to the motor on. He then placed the remote control car on top of the shelf next to the headphone amp, using bluetak to keep it in place. The remote control car is half-haning in the air, so the only wheel left on the car is hanging in the air. He then placed a long O-ring over the wheel and also the volume knob, making sure there's just enough tension in the O-ring. Now he uses the remote cotrol for the toy car to adjust volume. I think the whole "project" was less than $10. Just make sure you find one with quiet motor.

Very impressive
biggrin.gif
*from a non-diyer point of view anyway*

Nov 8, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 10
you can bypass the pot in most of the stax amps. it just takes a lot of work.

why not get a faceplate for your computer that allows for remote-control inputs. my old sound card had this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back