How to achieve a simple Laptop Set-up
Dec 1, 2007 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fkelly5

New Head-Fier
Hey need some advice on how to set-up a simple basic stereo system using my laptop as the source.

I use a T42 series IBM thinkpad in a dock with a real cheap pair of plug-in Harmon Kardon speakers currently.

What I want to do (biggest bang for the cheapest buck) is to hook up a pair of PSB alpha mini's that I had in storage and a stereo receiver. I have been on the hunt looking a sub $100 receiver on Craigslist.

Is this the best route to go or is there anything else I can do to get great or at least much better sounds from my laptop.

I have never dabbled in soundcards or anything else, and not quite sure what is available and if they make a difference etc.

I downsized on a Krell/Dynaudio/Wadia powerhouse system a while ago and am now wanting to do most of my listening thru my laptop and in a smaller office environment.

Thanks for any suggestions. (I don't have a large amount of space on either side of my desk for speakers or equipment). SO the smaller the pieces the better.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 3
For sound, I think most users will suggest a new pc card style probably from creative. This will improve on your sound quality compared to the built in sound chip. I'm not familiar with this whole process via laptop, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon to help you further.

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 3
You probably want to look into something like a ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme for your laptop (does it have 34/54 slot?) if you want anything more than simple stereo output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back