How to "A-B" compare two USB DAC's?
Jul 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

T Bone

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to compare the performance of two USB DAC's in true A-B fashion.  I can't imagine how I would accomplish this.
Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas to share on rigging up a pair of USB DAC's so that I can perform a "DAC shootout"?

I have a Schiit SYS (Switch your Schiit) that lets me switch RCA signals to an amp.

I have no idea how to get a PC to stream the same output to two different USB devices.

If you were going to setup a head-to-head to comparison of two DAC's - how would you do it?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 4
AFAIK, you can't get the stream to output to more than one device at a time.

What you need is a way, that you can switch between the outputdevices - it's possible in foobar i guess(seen it on youtube, but don't know precisely).

I use a neat little program for my soundcard("SBZ switcher" for soundblaster z), which let you set hotkeys for up to three of your windows playback devices.

So once you press the hotkey, the playbackdevice gets changed but the song continues playing.

for example, i have one hotkey on "ctrl + up-arrow" and one on "ctrl + down-arrow", and together with a "switchbox" i can A/B with not only 1 second delay.

Before A/B'ing i match volume by using RMAA(rightmark audio analyzer; just choose one device you want to compare, and click on "run test" - then you hear a testtone at 1khz and also see the level of it;  repeat with the second device you want to compare, and adjust volume incase it's not the same as the first).

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks - I'm going to have to look into that utility. It sounds like a useful utility. 
I'm not using FooBar.  JRiver is my go-to hi-res music player.  I am sure there's is something similar to match levels in JRiver.  
Appreciate the feedback.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks - I'm going to have to look into that utility. It sounds like a useful utility. 
I'm not using FooBar.  JRiver is my go-to hi-res music player.  I am sure there's is something similar to match levels in JRiver.  
Appreciate the feedback.

that tool works only with the soundblaster Z tho(even when you can then choose a hotkey, for whatever playback-device you have available under "playback devices").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back