How the **** so you decide?
Apr 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BigCabDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
First off, a few givens: I'm a noob when it comes to this "head-fi" stuff. But... my collection has quickly grown thanks to my OCD tendencies. In order to maintain marital bliss and fight off hoarder (or more politely, "collector") tendencies, it's already time to thin out the herd a little. My approach is to keep several cans for differing locations/scenarios: one portable, one bedside, possibly one for practice/recording' (I'm a musician too.) one for careless friends, one (or possibly two) for primary listening phones. I've got most the scenarios covered enjoyably, but for my main listeners where I've got three viable candidates... and one more on the way. 

My highest profile can is probably the most "fun"... when it sounds good. I could probably make the decision right here except that they really suck at a fairly significant segment of my music recessing mids or just generally failing on old 30s and 40s recordings. One pair (by far the least expensive) have lovely highs and are the most comfortable but fail to satisfy on bass infused music. My most consistent sounding cans, ultimately end up feeling annoyingly cheap, aren't all that comfortable for extended listening and ultimately are never "great"... just very good all around, all the time.

Bottom line is I'm wanting to choose only one amongst the three but feel a little like I'm making a far less consequential "Sophie's Choice." Ultimately, I feel compelled to choose the latter pair... those that I'm least enamored with and find myself hoping that this fourth pair I've got coming will win the day and make it easy for me to get rid of the other three.

Surely I'm not the only one who has dealt with such a dilemma. Any words of wisdom?

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 6
You are asking the wrong question. Why limit yourself to only one? Or only a dozen? The question you should be asking is: How can I make more money so that I can spend it all on head-fi?

:p

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 6
You are asking the wrong question. Why limit yourself to only one? Or only a dozen? The question you should be asking is: How can I make more money so that I can spend it all on head-fi?

:p

Part of it has to do with a preemptive strike against my own personality. Like I kind of alluded to; I have hoarder tendencies that I don't want to give free reign. But then beyond that, I don't want the complexity of it all. My plan is a delineation by purpose/location. I don't want the continual decision of, "What am I listening to? What headphone should I listen to?"

Thanks for the input!

May 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 6
So having followed the advice here, I thought I had it narrowed down to two cans: the HE-400 and the AD900x. I was OK with that. But then I put on "The Definitive Collection by The Four Tops" and guess what? The magnificent bass of THE bass player, James Jamerson (http://thenewliberator.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/the-greatest-bass-player-that-ever-lived-south-carolina-native-james-jamerson-1938-1983/) all but disappears on both of those. What headphone comes to the rescue? The HD598. /heavy sigh Back to the drawing board! /lol At least I've weeded out the AD700 as a necessity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back