How the heck can my Realtek soundchip sound so bad?
Aug 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got my first "real" IEM's. UE SuperFi 5vi (for $50). They are great, except they don't have the great treble of my Shure SE110's. That is not the problem though.
They sound like crap with my PC onboard audio. (Sorry for the language but it is justified). The bass is muddy and everything sounds muffled when compared to my Droid.
My Droid! My phone! The IEM's sound better on my phone? How can this be possible?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 29
Tried using an attenuator? Those IEMs are exceptionally sensitive and might be getting too much power. Read lots of posts where an attenuator has helped IEMs, though I don't use IEMs myself.

That or the phone has lower output impedance. Higher output impedance than the phone's could cause that.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 29
Perhaps it could be your files that are of a low bitrate? I have a Realtek sound card as well, but my UE 700s sound pretty good with it. Try going to Control Panel > HD Audio Settings (or something like that) and mess around with the settings.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Is FLAC not good enough? So what you guys are trying to say, is this wouldn't be improved with say the uDac?

What?  You never mentioned your source material, so it was a logical question.  FLAC is perfect, lossless material.  Your sound experience would probably be improved with a uDAC, but your onboard sound might not be the root of the problem.  Know anyone else with another source?  Does it sound good out of any other onboard solutions?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 29
Laptops and PCs are very noisy environments.  And no PC or laptop manufacturer cares about how good your purchase sounds.  They just want profit, that equals cheap.  Its up to you to work around that.  

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Is FLAC not good enough? So what you guys are trying to say, is this wouldn't be improved with say the uDac?

Yes.  You never mentioned what you were using for source material.
You only have:
Material->source->headphone or speakers.

Your material is perfect, so it is the source or the headphones.
Some give great opinions on the uDAC and some say it is little more the a external "onboard" audio chip.
I have not personally tested it so I cannot give impressions based on it's specs alone.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 29
Just because the material is flac doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I have a lot of flacs with obvious noise, clipping from loudness war, insane range compression, etc. Even had a few with rip errors, but I delete those.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 29
If both headphones are fine on the phone, and one is bad on the onboard, then it's the sensitivity at fault - my suggestion was all he needed. A different dac can solve the problem same as an attenuator, but also costs more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back