How the EX-51 Put Me on My Anti-Sibilance Mission
Mar 5, 2005 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
I've finally nailed it! It actually all started very recently, this queazy, intolerant sensitivity to sibilance. I GOT IT FROM THE EX-51s!! Bought a pair from Best Buy several weeks ago, seeking a lower-cost alternative to the E5s for sweat-generating activity like lawn-mowing, etc. Used them for a few days, they seemed to have their merits. Began EQ'ing the hell out of 'em to correct this incredible grainy, scratchy, hissy, upper frequency load I was hearing more and more. Tried bumping mid-range up, and treble bars waaay down. Fussed and fooled with it.

PROBLEM: My brain was learning to hear (as I've stated in other threads) what cannot be Unheard! The sibilance monster was unleashed in my head. Since those few days of EX-51 ownership (returned them obviously), I've sold my Ety ER4Ps, Westone UM2s (which really aren't sibilant, but have nice highs), and have even begun staring at a dusty pair of Koss Plugs with some allurement. My E5s (you know, the ones with the famous "rolled-off highs") now have more than enough treble and probably never will leave my ears. OMG
eek.gif
, even my tinnitus is starting to sound a little bright and shrill......

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I am with you on this one. I just got my Sharp MD33-s and am building up my audio jargon starting with sibilance. The extra shrill vibration was killing me til I modded it with cotton and it is still a bit bright and - now that I can put my finger on it - its days are done! It shall not be tolerated!
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
I am with you on this one. I just got my Sharp MD33-s and am building up my audio jargon starting with sibilance. The extra shrill vibration was killing me til I modded it with cotton and it is still a bit bright and - now that I can put my finger on it - its days are done! It shall not be tolerated!
icon10.gif

OUCH! You are now unfortunately and officially jaded. If you were not a basshead, you must now become one. First sign is a sudden shuddering at the thought of proximity to anything that says Etymotic on it. Next, you won't be able to stomach seeing the capitalized letter "E" without a number GREATER than '3' following it.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
I've finally nailed it! It actually all started very recently, this queazy, intolerant sensitivity to sibilance. I GOT IT FROM THE EX-51s!! Bought a pair from Best Buy several weeks ago, seeking a lower-cost alternative to the E5s for sweat-generating activity like lawn-mowing, etc. Used them for a few days, they seemed to have their merits. Began EQ'ing the hell out of 'em to correct this incredible grainy, scratchy, hissy, upper frequency load I was hearing more and more. Tried bumping mid-range up, and treble bars waaay down. Fussed and fooled with it.

PROBLEM: My brain was learning to hear (as I've stated in other threads) what cannot be Unheard! The sibilance monster was unleashed in my head. Since those few days of EX-51 ownership (returned them obviously), I've sold my Ety ER4Ps, Westone UM2s (which really aren't sibilant, but have nice highs), and have even begun staring at a dusty pair of Koss Plugs with some allurement. My E5s (you know, the ones with the famous "rolled-off highs") now have more than enough treble and probably never will leave my ears. OMG
eek.gif
, even my tinnitus is starting to sound a little bright and shrill......

Im with you... I dont know what people are hearing when they listen to the EX51. The exagerated treble and severely recessed mids are horrible. The bass bloat is a good thing though IMHO. Its too bad its so comfey.

Garrett

Mar 6, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 5
i have the same thing with over bright ect ect.
I found that the better the amp the less the problem
the other way I fixed my problem was to adjust the height of earpads on my headphones , which was easy on dt150 , but I ended up witht the pads at half their original height.
the reason I picked that height was that the sibilant was exactly where I wanted it and the resulting sound is just so good. I feel that there is a tendency to go for brighter in almost all our headphones.I found that aputting the driver closer to your ear without doing anything else changes the brightness if the sound quickly I suppose we do that to get a exciting sound.
The result of my little project has given me a stunning midrange with very neutral highs and lows.
I did change the earpads height a couple of times , now I just love the sound and dont want to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back