How talented are Mastodon?
Jan 24, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which shirt do you have? I was actually just looking at their online store earlier. Do you have the album art shirt or that really cool looking one with the arms coming down from the neck? I am thinking about ordering the red Yeti t-shirt thats currently on sale at their site, very cool! Mastodon absolutely rocks, the drumming is superb, and I really like the singer's voice. I am thinking about catching their show in NJ in February...would be my first "real" metal concert (Tool doesn't count, though Isis did open for them).

I bought the brown one with the album art on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno about that one... Martyr, uneXpect, Arsis, Sleep Terror, Gorod, Textures, and a few other bands released some real gems in 2006.

Haven't heard Gorod's, Textures or Martyr's new albums, but uneXpect, Sleep Terror and Arsis all put out fantastic albums (though Arsis' was a bit of a letdown.) There were quite a few amazing albums released this year, no doubt, but from the moment I heard the first track I knew Blood Mountain was going to be special.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kwitel- I'm thinking about going to see the same show. I'll be the giant 6'7" guy awkwardly headbanging off to the side
tongue.gif

Nice Mike-ill be the skinny, Jewish kid in the corner with the shaved head still trying desperately to hold onto his youth.
frown.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 23
Did anyone (kwitel) go to the Mastodon concert last night in NJ? I was planning on going, but ended up staying in NYC for an extra night with some friends. I'm curious to see any reactions to how they were live. I was looking forward to seeing them, but I was too lazy to get my butt on a train.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 23
Finally picked up Blood Mountain the other day (went to an excellent price) and I ran out to pick up Leviathan as soon as I could.

You know, I don't know where some folks get off describing these guys. I've read quite a few professional reviews that claim the band writes their music in the vein of 70's metal... what the hell are they talking about?

This is unabashed fire-and-brimstone late 80's style thrash with a little tech thrown in for good measure.

Only two real complaints for Blood Mountain:

- The guy that does the clean vocals can (at times) sound a little too "nu-metal" for the style (IMO)

- This is far and away the hottest recording I've ever heard. Not just hot, clippy. It doesn't ALWAYS clip, but it comes pretty close and at times for extended sections of songs. Inexcusable.

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 23
I think to be Metal, you have to have the ambition and the intention to BE Metal.

I don't think Mastodon want to be metal.

They just want to rock.

And that they do.

Mastodon, the best un-metal band in existence.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 23
They have such a following, it's crazy. Mastodon is good metal.

I am partial to Suffocation's first, and returned drummer Mike Smith, perhaps not in sheer drumming skill, but in playing well for the genre, and talk about a legend and influential guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back