How significant is the upgrade from $300 IEM to $1000-1500 ?
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I currently use FLC8S for listening and figured I could actually use an upgrade since the comfort isn't quite there.

I have owned Triple.fi10 before but have never heard what $1000-2000 IEM sounds like. The jump from $50 earphones to $300 is fairly significant and noticeable. So I have a question (two questions in one):

1) How noticeable / significant is the jump from $300 (FLC8s) to something like Westone w60 or Kaiser Django ? (so from $300 to $1000).

2) What about jump from W60 -> W80 and Django -> Encore (so $1000 - $1850).

Also at those pricepoints does it even make sense to buy universal? Or should i get customs if I am spending that much.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Id recommend definitely going universal. There are excellent options for universals, and if you buy a good deal for a used one you can resell if you don't think its worth the upgrade.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 8
Never owned Customs so can’t say. Haven’t heard the ones you have but have heard most of the TOTL IEM’s and and most of the down line ones and I find a considerable difference. Whether it is enough to make you happy only you would know that.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Id recommend definitely going universal. There are excellent options for universals, and if you buy a good deal for a used one you can resell if you don't think its worth the upgrade.

hmm so resale value is the main factor really with universals? I guess i can do universal + custom mold instead of the foam /silicone tip?

Feb 27, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi Zzbog,

What you say is highly subjective & potentially controversial, irrespective of what IEMs actually cost & their vaule to an individual, only you yourself can tell if there is any real significant difference.

TRUST YOUR OWN EARS & OPINION, NO ONE ELSE'S.

Your source has to be good quality as well otherwise no matter the IEM cost, if your source is crap, it will still sound crap no matter what.

Another thing most don't factor in regard to IEM without getting into the custom area which personally I think is a potential minefield joke is what sort of tips or buds are you using for your FLC8S ?

If stock, I would question comfort then as well, personally, I rarely use stock tips or buds, preferring Comply Isolation Foam buds for both good isolation & comfort but that is my preference.
Different foam & tips sizes make a very marked if not significant difference, some people even use different sizes in either ear.
Like sound, human ears are different shapes & sizes, which include ear canals which is why some people think it is worth the custom route but since even that profile can change over time, I also think it's not personally justifiable but I digress.
In other words, before you start experimenting with higher priced IEM's, see if you can improve the comfort of yours first.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi Zzbog,

If stock, I would question comfort then as well, personally, I rarely use stock tips or buds, preferring Comply Isolation Foam buds for both good isolation & comfort but that is my preference.
Different foam & tips sizes make a very marked if not significant difference, some people even use different sizes in either ear.
Like sound, human ears are different shapes & sizes, which include ear canals which is why some people think it is worth the custom route but since even that profile can change over time, I also think it's not personally justifiable but I digress.
In other words, before you start experimenting with higher priced IEM's, see if you can improve the comfort of yours first.

I actually went through a few - Complys are great but they fall apart and get kinda gross in a couple weeks. I ended up using the spinning (or whatever they are called) silicone tips, double flange, which are ok and provide decent isolation as well. Although I wonder if it's possible to achieve comfort level where I completely forget I am wearing any headphones.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi Zzbog,

Yes, I agree Comply or any foam has that kind of issue regardless though like most things, it depends how a person looks after them so not knowing how you do, it would be hard to say & since it's foam, it doesn't last forever.

Spintfits are what you mean & many have good use from them so if that works better, go for that.

Honestly, in terms of comfort to the point of forgeting depends on what you prefer, be it headphone or IEM, no matter what price tag, which is why I brought up having good tips or buds in the first place.

This is all highly personal & subjective & you have to experiment, there is no other way, on what is suitable as what might work for you might not work for others.

Comfort aside & while it helps, it can depend on what activity you're doing to how quickly you can forget you're wearing any headphones or IEMs.

Still can't stress enough, look for tips or buds which work well for you before deciding whether you need to upgrade your IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back